Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What Goes On Within AMD's Linux Beta Program?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What Goes On Within AMD's Linux Beta Program?

Phoronix: What Goes On Within AMD's Linux Beta Program?

This year NVIDIA has been following the release early, release often mantra with it seeming like two weeks can't even go by without seeing a new Linux driver -- whether it's a beta driver, an official driver update, or one of their legacy drivers picking up a few fixes (at times they have even released four drivers at once). On the opposite spectrum, AMD continues with monthly Catalyst driver updates on both Linux and windows. Rather than a continual stream of new public driver releases, AMD maintains a private beta program for their Catalyst Linux driver. This private program is made up of AMD developers, hardware vendors, users of different Linux distributions, other Linux vendors, and end-users. Phoronix has been apart of this program for years, but those testing this driver are under a strict Non-Disclosure Agreement with AMD regarding pre-releases of their Linux software. Today, however, AMD has decided to declassify some information pertaining to its Linux Graphics Driver Beta Program.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Well, imho this isn't interesting at all...

Comment

I'm not sure if it's me or if because I'm tired after a working day but, what is this article trying to say? I really havent understood

Comment

I think a closed beta program is ok in a beginning stage of a new development which definitely contains bugs that you do not want to explain any new user. But after a while things calm down and most of the major bugs are resolved. If you don't have to expect damage to your pc/data with it, then those pre official release drivers should be made available. I don't think that would hurt ATI in any way, but they would get more feedback. There are lots of people out here who have got problems with the fglrx driver, and the only hope for em is a new driver, so restricting access for em means waiting 2-3 months longer than needed if there would be a fix inbetween. If you want a fast solution then you have to buy a new card. NV has problems with some specific cards which have not been sorted out yet too, but at least they provide more updates when they introduce something new like VDPAU which needs more fixes. Before VDPAU/KDE4 you mainly only got a few updates, much less than the 12 for fglrx udpates a year. But before KDE4 there have been only few complains about NV and for every new kernel you got patches to make the current drivers work with it. That's the absolute minimum requirement that ATI has to do: provide OFFICIAL kernel patches even for legacy drivers.

Comment

Originally posted by Kano View Post
          That's the absolute minimum requirement that ATI has to do: provide OFFICIAL kernel patches even for legacy drivers.
          super quote!

Comment

How can I participate in the Beta Programm?

Comment

Originally posted by Odin View Post
              How can I participate in the Beta Programm?

Like a vampire covenant. One of the old ones has to bring you in .

Only the AMD people can add you to the program, but members can make recommendations.

Comment

Originally posted by bulletxt View Post
                I'm not sure if it's me or if because I'm tired after a working day but, what is this article trying to say? I really havent understood
                Something about generating ad revenue.

Comment

More on AMD's Linux release cycle and philosophy can be found in The Truth About ATI/AMD & Linux.
                  I have seen this mistake so often on Phoronix, so now I must mention it

It is bad practice to start a sentence or head line with "More on" because it sounds like "Moron" when you read it.

You will never see a news paper do that.

One of my English profs explained the importance of thinking through
                  sentence structure so as not to be phonetically or grammatically
                  careless, i.e. 'Me and Jim went to the arcade' as it could sound like
                  'Mean Jim went to the arcade', proper grammar is 'Jim and I went to
                  the arcade.'

Byt please no more "More on"

Comment

Originally posted by Melcar View Post
                    Like a vampire covenant. One of the old ones has to bring you in .

Only the AMD people can add you to the program, but members can make recommendations.
                    Yo, I want in on this. I vow to complain early and complain often. I'll be a QC machine.

Comment

Working...
                    X