Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fedora 21 Likely Switching To Hawkey Package Management

Phoronix: Fedora 21 Likely Switching To Hawkey Package Management

With Fedora 20 out the door, the latest feature to talk about for Fedora 21 is that they will be switching over to the Hawkey package management library...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

No, wait. I literally lost the count on how many layers of abstraction there are now for package management.

Comment

Originally posted by r1348 View Post
      No, wait. I literally lost the count on how many layers of abstraction there are now for package management.
      Graphical:

RPM -> hawkey/libsolv -> PackageKit /other backends -> GNOME Sofware

Command line:

RPM - > hawkey/libsolv -> dnf (which will become the new yum) /yum

Comment

Originally posted by r1348 View Post
        I feel sorry for you, then... you can't count to one. Because of all the package management elements in use, PackageKit is the only abstraction layer, designed to hide the split between Debian and Redhat packaging.

The rest of the layers (and really, there aren't that many of those either) are providing real functionality, not just abstraction. Here's the list:
        1. RPM, for the basic packaging (equivalent to DEB/dpkg on Debian systems).
        2. YUM (or it's DNF successor, of which Hawkey is part), which provides the ability to install packages and dependencies from repositories (equivalent to apt-get on Debian)
        3. PackageKit, which provides an API that apps like media players can use to help the user install missing codecs, without those apps needing to worry about the differences between Redhat and Debian package management.
        4. Various GUI frontends for the above, to allow users to install apps without having to use command-line tools

Comment

Working...
        X