Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• QEMU 0.15 Brings Several New Features

Phoronix: QEMU 0.15 Brings Several New Features

Replacing QEMU 0.14, which was released back in February, is now QEMU 0.15. This new major update to this open-source processor emulator that's commonly used with KVM (the Linux Kernel-based Virtual Machine) delivers on several prominent features...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Mandatory glib dep? Ew.

Comment

Originally posted by curaga View Post
      Mandatory glib dep? Ew.
      Why? If QEMU developers find it useful and take advantage of a library instead of reimplementing everything from scratch and invariably in a buggy way, everyone benefits from that. If the objection was anything technical, I guess we will hear about the specific details instead of this response

Comment

Benchmarks

With new releases from QEMU and VirtualBox, and Xen finally making it into the kernel, I think it's time for a virtualization comparison

Comment

Originally posted by unrulycow View Post
          With new releases from QEMU and VirtualBox, and Xen finally making it into the kernel, I think it's time for a virtualization comparison
          QEMU doesn't have any kernel component. KVM and Xen kernel patches are all in the kernel as of 3.0 and VirtualBox modules haven't been submitted upstream at all afaik. It isn't likely to get merged in as it is.

Comment

Thats not fully correct, it has one but it is optional:

Comment

Originally posted by Kano View Post
              Thats not fully correct, it has one but it is optional:

http://wiki.qemu.org/KQemu/Doc
              You should read the link you are pointing to

"Current versions of qemu (0.11 and up) has no support for kqemu anymore, focusing on kvm instead"

Comment

Originally posted by RahulSundaram View Post
                Why?
                Bloat.

If the objection was anything technical, I guess we will hear about the specific details instead of this response
                You really should get off your high horse.

Comment

Originally posted by curaga View Post
                  Bloat.

You really should get off your high horse.
                  Reusing glib is the opposite of bloat. Rewriting each of the relevant functions would be much more bloat than reusing a well tested, mature and widely used library. I don't own a horse. I have a pony though :-)

Comment

The commit mentioned two things, tests and threading in virtio-p9. Why do you believe all users should be penalized for a developer use case (tests), or a small minority (plan 9)?

Comment

Working...
                    X