Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Munich Oktoberfest 2011

Phoronix: Munich Oktoberfest 2011

The official Oktoberfest in Munich has (sadly) ended earlier this week after 17 days of the usual beer, food, and entertainment. I was there for the duration, as usual, meeting up with Phoronix readers, business sources, and other contacts while enjoying this wonderful Bavarian festival. For those that missed out on the event but are curious what the event is really like, here's some Oktoberfest photos for your enjoyment, since beer is commonly quite popular among developers and computer enthusiasts.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Well, I hope you had fun and that it was a nice trip! But I somehow can't help but feel that perhaps this article would fit better on your personal blag instead of in Phoronix. I know how much you love beer (as do I: Belgian, Czech, German, Swedish, British, and there are hundreds of amazing beers from USA now. Microbreweries are popping up everywhere! There are many great IPAs from the states) but it would be weird if Tom's Hardware did an article like this, wouldn't it?

Comment

Originally posted by Azpegath View Post
      Well, I hope you had fun and that it was a nice trip! But I somehow can't help but feel that perhaps this article would fit better on your personal blag instead of in Phoronix. I know how much you love beer (as do I: Belgian, Czech, German, Swedish, British, and there are hundreds of amazing beers from USA now. Microbreweries are popping up everywhere! There are many great IPAs from the states) but it would be weird if Tom's Hardware did an article like this, wouldn't it?
      I don't think that's so bad in this case. In my opinion everyone and every site may (and probably should) build some kind of style that sets it apart from others or from plain (boring ?) fact-posting. So here on phoronix it is beer and Bavaria. This article is marked very well as non-technical by its headline. So everyone not interested doesn't have to click it. Of course technical articles that consist of 3/4 beer-news are somewhat out of place ... a sentence or two now and then in such an article may be loosening or funny now and then, but more it shouldn't be much more.
      [Disclaimer: I'm actually from Munich, so I might be a little biased here]

More on topic: 100 Liters of beer ? That amounts to 6+ Liters each day ! I'm collapsing after 4 Ma? (and a few Schnaps) ...

Comment

Originally posted by mazumoto View Post
        More on topic: 100 Liters of beer ? That amounts to 6+ Liters each day ! I'm collapsing after 4 Ma? (and a few Schnaps) ...
        I can usually handle 6 liters per day with ease, commonly 8. I think only on one night this year was I not in condition/moode to check my emails and RSS feeds when returning to my flat, but even that day was still in much better shape than many there I'll commonly even have like two Ma? even before having Wei?wurst or any other food. I guess I am special in my ability to handle Augustiner
        Michael Larabel
        https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Azpegath View Post
          There are many great IPAs from the states) but it would be weird if Tom's Hardware did an article like this, wouldn't it?
          Actually that's not far fetched. Tomshardware Germany is in Munich
          Tom's Hardware helps you buy the best hardware and build the best PC to play, create and work..

and they had quite some crazy articles online (not about the octoberfest though). At least they had the hardware to cool down processors to 5Ghz in 2003:
          Just how much cooling can the P4 withstand for maximum overclocking? We cranked the CPU down to -196°C with liquid nitrogen and, with compression cooling for the chipset, we managed to clock the processor at 5.25 GHz. For those of you with any doubts, it's all on the 11th THG video.

We should invite some of those guys - they'll be experts in cooling beer and turn out very useful!

Comment

Working...
          X