Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Compiz 0.9 Release Finally Approaching

Phoronix: Compiz 0.9 Release Finally Approaching

More than a year ago we first talked about some of the Compiz 0.9 plans that involved merging Nomad and Compiz++ into Compiz and a host of other changes after the future of Compiz was called into question. Compiz Fusion was dropped too and Compiz++ is the C++ rewrite and also brings several other changes, such as Compiz no longer being just a compositing window manager, but the different components have been separated out...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Cool, but who's going to use it?

KDE has KWin4, Gnome distributions will probably switch to Mutter later this year.

Comment

Compositing window managers have yet to surpass Compiz in features.

Comment

Originally posted by d2kx View Post

KDE has KWin4, Gnome distributions will probably switch to Mutter later this year.
        As mentioned above, the window management in compiz is far superior.
        What does KDE and Gnome have: Maximize, Minimize and a taskbar (haven't used them in a while )?

For transparency only, I could use xcompmgr...

Comment

Originally posted by disi View Post
          As mentioned above, the window management in compiz is far superior.
          What does KDE and Gnome have: Maximize, Minimize and a taskbar (haven't used them in a while )?

For transparency only, I could use xcompmgr...
          KWin4 has the cube! What more could you possibly need? ;-)

Comment

i still want an easy compiz plugin, that allows me to use any application as a fullscreen application.
            this way i dont have to run apps in fullscreen at a non-native resolution.
            its really annoying, when you play a game and you tab out it resets the resolution and all that stuff.

Comment

I'm not sure I want gnome shell

I like compiz so much, I really don't want to switch to this new gnome shell thing. Is there going to be a way not to use that, and stick to the old setup, apart from never upgrading I mean?

Is it going to be possible to just use the gnome panels with nautilus and compiz with gnome 2.30, would be my question.

I am pretty sure there will be lots of users unhappy with it because it is so different and because they like compiz.

What I would like is for the panels to go really 3D (well projected) and likewise for nautilus. Real 3D applications. Which would mean a 3D widget set: "gtk3D". Windows floating in the distance instead of minimizing. Another Xserver running on another computer being a distant cube. Dragging applications between cubes and therefore between computers.

Gnome shell is still so 2D, and all of the other desktops (KDE, OS X, Windows) too. Actually, compiz is still only manipulating 2D windows. You see them in 3D, but they are still flat, and the third dimension is not even used for minimizing. Here we are living in the far future (2010) and still no real 3D desktop. Actually I am disappointed in the whole of computing. Really cool user interfaces you only ever see in movies. All of the others: meh.

Comment

Originally posted by d2kx View Post

compiz(fusion) is far more:

- responsive
                - feeling light-weight
                - feature-rich
                - stable
                - configurable
                - NOT broken ?! (why on earth does upstream insist that the non-working "invert" plugin is a problem caused by fglrx ?)
                - fast

so even if kde4 has kwin4 and gnome has mutter I'll still be using compiz-fusion for some time

Comment

Originally posted by perpetualrabbit View Post
                  I like compiz so much, I really don't want to switch to this new gnome shell thing. Is there going to be a way not to use that, and stick to the old setup, apart from never upgrading I mean?

Is it going to be possible to just use the gnome panels with nautilus and compiz with gnome 2.30, would be my question.
                  Yes, this will still be possible. The old-style desktop is the only way to use GNOME on hardware without accelerated OpenGL.

What I would like is for the panels to go really 3D (well projected) and likewise for nautilus. Real 3D applications. Which would mean a 3D widget set: "gtk3D". Windows floating in the distance instead of minimizing. Another Xserver running on another computer being a distant cube. Dragging applications between cubes and therefore between computers.
                  2D is a lot easier to navigate than 3D. But I would like to see a GTK widget engine that makes use of OpenGL for things like bump maps, real shadows, widget animations... All those pseudo-3D ridges can become actual 3D objects with correct lighting and stuff. Maybe give a clue where the mouse pointer is by making it a light source (which affects the bump maps).

Comment

Will this be in Lucid ?

Comment

Working...
                    X