Why you should support Mac OS X and Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why you should support Mac OS X and Linux

Recently I read about an interesting blog entry on Wolfire Games regarding Mac OS X and Linux sales.

Last I checked, Mac OS X had around a 5% market share, and Linux had much less than that (among consumers). I can feel that many PHBs look at this small number and think "5%? Why should I support a whole new platform when I could just blow some more ...

I guess not everyone reads Holarse.de or LinuxGames.com so I'll share it here.

Yeah I saw this, I love Wolfire Games, and pretty much all indie developers. They get the idea. What I'm kinda hoping is that alot of the big game developers like EA and such back out of PC Gaming. Why you ask? Well, I think the future of pc gaming could very well be indie developers. And that would be very healthy for the computer gaming community as a whole.

Instead of countless rehashes of games and the same ol song and dance for the sake of marketing and lack of innovation from alot of game development companies nowdays, we'd be getting fresh games. While not everything in most indie games is completely original, they do however, feel fresh.

Personally I think for Linux to grab a good chunk of the market share there, its going to take just that. Either that or these big companies decide to support us, which for me I'm not as optimistic about that as alot of people are about that. I mean most of this stuff we hope for is only rumor (Steam on Linux/UT3/vaporware,etc) , and I realize that we cannot depend on them. However, we have for the most part won over many indie developers. I believe the main focus for Linux gaming of the future should focus on getting as many of these indie developers on our side as we can, instead of trying to beg these companies like EA and such to have a Linux port.

Of course most of what I said was just a matter of opinion.

Comment

Working...
    X