Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OpenCL with BOINC - severe lag?

Hello,

to give my BOINC-stats a boost i installed the current fglrx (11-12-1 on debian sid) and kernel version 3.0.3 on my Laptop with a AMD M92 [Mobility Radeon HD 4500/5100 Series]. Everything runs fine until the GPU starts to get OpenCL-work. The mouse starts jumping, keypresses are delayed ... like working on an unaccelerated old laptop.
    Can this be normal? I realize that number-crunching has to be quite a stress, but making the desktop unusable seems like there is some problem here.

Originally posted by Rlyeh_Drifter View Post
    Hello,

to give my BOINC-stats a boost i installed the current fglrx (11-12-1 on debian sid) and kernel version 3.0.3 on my Laptop with a AMD M92 [Mobility Radeon HD 4500/5100 Series]. Everything runs fine until the GPU starts to get OpenCL-work. The mouse starts jumping, keypresses are delayed ... like working on an unaccelerated old laptop.
    Can this be normal? I realize that number-crunching has to be quite a stress, but making the desktop unusable seems like there is some problem here.
    I may be wrong about this, but IIRC, OpenCL will take all the GPU.
    That would leave no acceleration for X.

Comment

Run Milkyway@home as well as seti(Though they dont use GPU)

I notice the odd stutter, but not to the extent you mean, no mouse lag at all.
      GPU runs at 97 - 98% on mine ( Handy widget for KDE i found)

Probably computer speed difference i should think.
      Mines a desktop AMD 1090t with a HD5870(1Gb) and 4GB mem Mandriva 2010.2

Pete.

Comment

Working...
      X