Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tablet interface discussion

Hello there!

Apple made the first real man tablet, because others didn't sell. Therefore Apple is bigger than God, even though Steve Jobs is the only God.

If you delude yourself that every Apple products are worse than anything else on the market, then this thread is for you.

Ofcourse if you own at least an iPod than you have the moral obligation to defend your holy commitment from stupid Linux and Windows trolls here: http://phoronix.com/forums/showthrea...ac-are-screwed
    Don't delude yourself by their lies and trolling! Keep the holy Apple of tech alive!

---

So Windows and Linux fanboys, this thread is about tablet interfaces, those horrible pieces of smudge that think they can take over the laptop market (ROFL, can you believe that?).

---

So what do you think about the Windows 8 tablet interface so far?

I think the interface is great. It does need some tweaking, but thus far we don't realy know much about it. YouTube vid: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p92QfWOw88I

I would realy like a KDE Plasma shell implementing that.

Ignorent of the truth tablet and Linux fanboys welcome

-Vincent

Gnome 3 has a brilliant interface for tablets. I currently use it on my tablet pc and it fills the role considerably better than anything else. My only gripe is the lack of an integrated virtual keyboard. Being forced to use a third party one that doesn't integrate properly is annoying.

Comment

Tablets will play an important role in the future.

In the future, not right now. Right now, only the iPad and cheap Android 2.x tablets sell well and both look like upscaled smartphone OSs (surprise surprise). I wouldn't want to use that. Laptop will remain more important than tablets for quite some time, tablets are mostly used by people sitting on the coach, watching television and surfing the web because they're bored. But they say "but tablets sell better" - that's true, because most people have a laptop already, but that doesn't mean that tablets are more important for them at all.

Comment

Heh, always said if I had one I couldn't justify spending more then $100. Then the boss called me into his office today and I figured I was in shit for something. Hands me a new iPad 2 and says "we appreciate all the hard work you do around here". It was a good first day back at work. Still couldn't justify spending more then a hundred bucks one a tablet however.

Comment

What's funny is how one can get a 10" tablet cheaper than an android phone.

Comment

I'm thinking that webv3 will be with html5 and decentralized internet, where people have always on ARM servers with all over their data and webapps (GTK web widgets) and harddisk-less Chromebooks and Maemo tablets. I think that Android will die because of fragmentation and the hype will run out of momentum soon.

The other software will be in the form of apps from an appstore. Linux distros, Mac and Windows have/will have software repo's.

This is also where Wayland comes in: widgets as html5. Html5 also has WebGL and apps use embedded GL.

Free software has no choice but to come up with things like Diaspora in the age of webapps, so ARM servers are the only way it seems, while still keeping the power of the 'cloud'.

Phones will stay locked for a while. They can use wireless streaming of video to screens, but the battery life still sucks. I don't see any change in smartphones for the next 5 years.

That said for touch, I think people will use Windows 8 for tablets largely, just like they want Windows on netbooks. Those widgets are made with web technology. The rest will follow. As soon as people discover that they can do Word and Excell and other Windows apps on tablets, iPads will reduce for a large part in terms of sales. They will be regarded as toys. A lot of people hate iTunes.

Comment

So that's why they added the ribbon, to be touch-usable several years later!

(yeah, I hate it, as well as other cellphone interfaces trying to work on the desktop ie gnome3).

Comment

Originally posted by curaga View Post
                Haha.. very true..

Comment

Originally posted by curaga View Post
                  What's so funny about that? Want to know how much it costs to cramp all that functionality into a small device? The pixel density of a full HD display into the size of a mobile phone for example... Encoding a 720p movie in your pocket after capture... You have no idea ;p

Comment

LCD screens are expensive, one would think getting six more inches would cost more than a GSM modem. I was comparing the cheapest of each here, not the cheapest tablet to some 500€ phone.

Comment

Working...
                    X