Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VLC Media Player Adds Support For H.265 / HEVC

Phoronix: VLC Media Player Adds Support For H.264 / HEVC

The VLC project has merged support for x265 to provide support for HEVC/H.265 in the popular open-source cross-platform media player...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Typo in the title... h.264 should be h.265

Comment

Title is wrong you put h.264.

Comment

So the question becomes.... is this relevant? I.e., how much cpu does it take to actually decode such a video compared to, say, h264? If its similar or lower, it may be useful, but if its multiples, its useless. Current video decoders won't be able to deal with it, so it will be all up to the cpu.

Comment

This is only encoding support -- is decoding support in already?

Comment

Originally posted by droidhacker View Post
            So the question becomes.... is this relevant? I.e., how much cpu does it take to actually decode such a video compared to, say, h264? If its similar or lower, it may be useful, but if its multiples, its useless. Current video decoders won't be able to deal with it, so it will be all up to the cpu.
            It depends entirely on the bitrate/quality level and of course the decoding functions that are off-loaded to the GPU (not necessarily the video decoder ASIC built into the GPU). HQ 4K h.265 is out of the question due to bitrate and whatnot but basic 1080P files seem to be easily decoded by CPU alone on a mid-range system.

Comment

Sadly, the VLC devs are too stupid to even fix a trivial bug that's been known for ~5 years now.

Switch to German and press H. (The normal hotkey is Ctrl+H.)

Comment

It will be interesting to see how x265 stacks up to x264 once it becomes more feature-complete, but as of now I don't think it's far enough along in development to be of that much use.

Comment

You'd think they'd add support for the open source VP9 first.

The VLC guys make some very strange, often anti-opensource decisions. Like when they made the mobile VLC for iOS first, instead of Android, which got banned by Apple, and made me very happy, because they fully deserved that one (building it for a closed OS like iOS?! What were they thinking?).

Then they ported it to Android, but before it was even fully finished, they started asking money for the "Metro version" (what the hell? Really?).

So yeah, the VLC seem to take some very counter-intuitive decisions for an open source project.

Comment

Originally posted by Krysto View Post
                    You'd think they'd add support for the open source VP9 first.

The VLC guys make some very strange, often anti-opensource decisions. Like when they made the mobile VLC for iOS first, instead of Android, which got banned by Apple, and made me very happy, because they fully deserved that one (building it for a closed OS like iOS?! What were they thinking?).

Then they ported it to Android, but before it was even fully finished, they started asking money for the "Metro version" (what the hell? Really?).

So yeah, the VLC seem to take some very counter-intuitive decisions for an open source project.
                    Don't be silly. It's a few lines of code if you look at the patch, it just hooks up to x265 and that's it. You don't even know if the patch was by a core developer or someone submitted it (open source, remember)?

Also the vlc guys are great. They make one of the most used players for windows, and still work hard on being cross-platform and having support for everyone, instead of just giving in and starting to cut corners and adding lots of windows-only stuff, where probably 99.9% of their userbase is.
                    So I wouldn't go around accusing them of not being oss-friendly.

Comment

Working...
                    X