Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reclocking Hits For Open-Source NVIDIA Driver

Phoronix: Reclocking Hits For Open-Source NVIDIA Driver

Committed to the kernel repository for the open-source Nouveau driver for providing reverse-engineered NVIDIA hardware is now the initial GPU core/memory re-clocking support...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Michael, don't forget to set the kernel parameter nouveau.perflvl_wr=7777

Also, don't forget to check the current perflvl: cat /sys/class/drm/card0/device/performance_level

Please also check that the temperature is not skyrocketing. Nouveau reclocking won't be activated by default until we have a proper infrastructure for that. I'll talk about that @FOSDEM.

Comment

Ah still the same funny hack

Comment

Originally posted by Kano View Post
        Ah still the same funny hack
        Yeah, safety first. I don't think there is a risk, but there could be one. If you set this kernel parameter, you ack the danger, so that's all good

Comment

Originally posted by M?P?F View Post
          Yeah, safety first. I don't think there is a risk, but there could be one. If you set this kernel parameter, you ack the danger, so that's all good
          Yep, and make sure you got some decent cooling to handle the heat load!

Comment

Basically you could specify the performance level as well using perflvl option together with the option mentioned above. At the time i tested nouveau last year it often worked for me, but did not do in all cases for others. Also reclocking resulted in full crashes, not real fun, but somehow you don't fear it anymore when you already hacked a binary driver - there this is even more common to crash

@michael

Also another note for doing benchmarks on oss drivers: it is really pointless when libtxc_dxtn is not used and enable-texture-float is not enabled. First of all that would allow more tests (like some with unigine engine) also why should games use compressed textures using binary drivers and not using oss ones? I dont think there is any law against publishing benchmarks with both things enabled, you still do not host binary files which might now be allowed in some weird countries. You should not compare speed when one driver

a) uses diffenent clocks
            b) does not use all possible features
            c) enforces vsync that will cut framerates

Comment

Working...
            X