Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AMD Radeon HD 7790 graphics/video card - how well will it work on Linux?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD Radeon HD 7790 graphics/video card - how well will it work on Linux?

I got an AMD Radeon HD 7790 (MSI) graphics/video card. I was wondering: how good is support for it on Linux?

Will it even work? Are there any bugs? Will I be missing some features?

Like 3D acceleration, general performance, VDPAU, OpenGL support, CrossFire support, multiple monitor support - that kind of stuff.

How could I check whether the card supports these features once I'm running Linux?

The distribution doesn't matter, but I'd prefer Fedora or Archlinux.

I am also willing to use the proprietary driver, depending on which one works better.

Also, I found this page: http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownloa...eon_linux.aspx for the Catalyst driver on Linux. Does that driver support the 7790? Is it some generic driver? How does it differ than this "performance driver": http://support.amd.com/us/kbarticles...ceDriver.aspx?
    Last edited by yannbane; 12 September 2013, 05:40 AM.

Originally posted by yannbane View Post
    I got an AMD Radeon HD 7790 (MSI) graphics/video card. I was wondering: how good is support for it on Linux?

Will it even work? Are there any bugs? Will I be missing some features?

Like 3D acceleration, general performance, VDPAU, OpenGL support, CrossFire support, multiple monitor support - that kind of stuff.

How could I check whether the card supports these features once I'm running Linux?

The distribution doesn't matter, but I'd prefer Fedora or Archlinux.

I am also willing to use the proprietary driver, depending on which one works better.

Also, I found this page: http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownloa...eon_linux.aspx for the Catalyst driver on Linux. Does that driver support the 7790? Is it some generic driver? How does it differ than this "performance driver": http://support.amd.com/us/kbarticles...ceDriver.aspx?
    I was wondering, too. I like the cost and size of some of the HD 7750 cards so I was reading the forum on the state of the radeonsi driver. The FOSS support is STILL slow as molasses. Really disappointing. Read about "radeonsi" and "glamor." It sounds like it would be promising in Fedora 20. Might be the odd bugs, however?

I'm not sure what the situation would be with the catalyst/binary driver. Maybe check that section? It seems like some people would be forced to use the catalyst unless they feel like building from source? The cards are over a year old but open source support still isn't there. Some things never change?

I had one question: how is 2D and video playback quality with Cataylst/Radeon HD 7000 series cards compared to Nvidia/Kepler cards?
    Last edited by Panix; 12 September 2013, 01:52 PM.

Comment

I have been trying things on my 7790

Hi - I have a 7790, and have been trying to get it working well with MythTV, but don't have much success to report. The 7790 is 'Sea Islands' Bonaire, slightly different to the Southern Islands - support seems similar but they aren't identical. I've been using Ubuntu 12.04. I started out using Fglrx but removed it to go to the open-source solutions - the 2d playback with fglrx was fluid, but with interlacing quite visible. I updated the kernel to 3.10.9 and then 3.11.1 without too much trouble (card recognized and drm enabled in kernel). Updating to Mesa 9.2 from source went OK, but there were a few steps after that (adding things to ldconfig). MythTV could use vpdau in playback, but I don't think it was using the UVD2 module, but the CPU and 'softpipe'. UVD decode is (I think) working with older cards and may be working for the 7750/7770. Certainly CPU usage was high, and the visuals were not that good (interlacing was bad). Vdpauinfo only ever gave me an 'unable to find any nvidia' error.

Then I started adding repos (xorg-edgers, oibaf and others) and my problems began. I found I'd lost any dri, and then X, and then the command line. I probably don't know as much as I should to be using the -RC kernels. For all I know I could have been one simple config step from really excellent performance on the 7790 hardware (which should have abundant horsepower really). I suspect the October release of Ubuntu and the November release of OpenSuse will probably go close to optimal performance.

I now have Suse 12.2 set up, but the kernel (3.5.) and mesa (7.) are quite old. Performance at the moment is not great, but that's probably because the graphics card is an unknown quantity to the older software. I'm away from home atm so I can't get at my system. This is probably not very informative.

Comment

7790 sea islands

Hi again -

Since my last post I wearied of OpenSuse and am back on Ubuntu ( 13.10 ). The Kernel seems to know what Bonaire is all about (UVD enables) but I can't seem to compile Mesa so as to enable vdpau using (for example) these instructions (about the fullest and clearest I've found. I changed drivers to --with-gallium-drivers=radeonsi, but otherwise followed it precisely):

Not sure why it didn't work - this article below could suggest that currently in Mesa there's only enough code to identify and cope with Sea Islands as if they were Southern Islands and I guess there are no guarantees given its a somewhat new architecture. I'd love to hear from the horse's mouth where this is at, but don't want to be a nuisance.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I may just be stuck waiting for Mesa 10 or something. [Fortunately Ubuntu have shut down Medibuntu so getting my 1212m sound card in 13.10 is very difficult for me once again, so I'll have plenty to fill my time.http://phoronix.com/forums/images/smilies/smile.png]

Comment

Working...
        X