Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Proper Solution To The Linux ASPM Problem

Phoronix: A Proper Solution To The Linux ASPM Problem

At long last, it looks like there is an adequate solution to the Active State Power Management (ASPM) problem in the Linux kernel , a.k.a. the well-known and wide-spread power regression in the Linux 2.6.38 kernel, which has been causing many laptops to go through significantly more power than they should. This is not another workaround, but rather a behavioral change in the kernel to better decide when the PCI Express ASPM support should be toggled.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

What a relief. I am happy today

Comment

Finally.

Actually I was planning to e-mail LKML with my solution to the problem, a white-list of ASPM supported devices on computers with a proper BIOS, which could be collected through Phoronix Test Suite.

Comment

Other regressions

[quote]
        That's one regression now addressed, with only several more power management issues left in the kernel...
        [\quote]

Did you find those other regressions with git-bisect?

Comment

'Bout fuckin' time! Seriously, this should have been fixed way earlier. If you introduce a regression, you revert to previous version, too bad the kernel devs don't get that...

Comment

Originally posted by LinuxID10T View Post
            'Bout fuckin' time! Seriously, this should have been fixed way earlier. If you introduce a regression, you revert to previous version, too bad the kernel devs don't get that...
            That's what they did do. They introduced a power regression to get rid of a stability regression. It was the lesser of two evils until they came up with a proper solution ie try any copy what windows does

Comment

Michael what are the other power regressions you mention in the article?

Comment

Originally posted by 89c51 View Post
                Michael what are the other power regressions you mention in the article?
                I'm not permitted to publicly talk about them at the moment.
                Michael Larabel
                https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
                  Huh? Is some kind of vendor who forbids this???

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
                    weird.

at least can you answer if they are taken care of???

Comment

Working...
                    X