Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ubuntu 14.04 vs. Debian 7.3 vs. Debian Jessie Preview

Phoronix: Ubuntu 14.04 vs. Debian 7.3 vs. Debian Jessie Preview

For those curious about performance differences between the current Debian 7.3 "Wheezy" stable release and the upcoming but currently unstable Debian 8.0 "Jessie", here are some performance benchmarks comparing Debian's stable and testing releases on the same hardware. Making things more interesting, Ubuntu 14.04 LTS in its current development form was also tossed into the mix.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Small thing, image at the top of the article isn't working for me

Comment

Impressive!

Since there are kernel differences for 14.04 and Jessie (not interested in Wheezy), I wonder how I could get that performance increase pertaining to FFmpeg? Is there a regression for Linux kernel 3.13?

Comment

Originally posted by rnavarro View Post
        Small thing, image at the top of the article isn't working for me
        Same here.

Comment

if it will be going like that.. i think i will drop ubuntu for debian

Comment

Originally posted by NomadDemon View Post
            if it will be going like that.. i think i will drop ubuntu for debian
            Don't expect any huge differences - the majority of the packages are the same in both - Ubuntu freezes Debian Sid at some point and imports all the packages.

This article actually hints at one of the issues with running Debian Stable, that it tends not to perform optimally (or, sometimes, at all) on newer hardware. The next stable release after Wheezy will be sometime in 2015.. I wish there was a middle ground where we could get long term stability with new kernel and drivers and the option of selective more recent packages. I tried the suggested workarounds (run testing, mix release repos) and could never get a satisfactory solution.

Comment

Originally posted by chrisb View Post
              Don't expect any huge differences - the majority of the packages are the same in both - Ubuntu freezes Debian Sid at some point and imports all the packages.

This article actually hints at one of the issues with running Debian Stable, that it tends not to perform optimally (or, sometimes, at all) on newer hardware. The next stable release after Wheezy will be sometime in 2015.. I wish there was a middle ground where we could get long term stability with new kernel and drivers and the option of selective more recent packages. I tried the suggested workarounds (run testing, mix release repos) and could never get a satisfactory solution.
              I've been running Jessie since Day 1 (well maybe Day 4 or 5 but not more), and I never had a hard crash or something like that... And I'm running a modern computer, with touchscreen, bells and whistles...

Comment

Debian testing? Yeah!

Michael, thank you for including Debian testing in your test, I use it since about 2000 year (just simply updating, never reinstalling), except for one year that I tried Kubuntu and afterwards go back to my beloved Debian.

Debian stable have bad perfomance obviously. His strenght is the stability, it's a version for servers. For desktops Testing is the recommended. I use testing with, some package from unstable that I want more updated.

Comment

Originally posted by doom_Oo7 View Post
                  I've been running Jessie since Day 1 (well maybe Day 4 or 5 but not more), and I never had a hard crash or something like that... And I'm running a modern computer, with touchscreen, bells and whistles...
                  Jessie isn't stable yet so what you're running is Debian testing, last time I tried it I ended up with dependency problems and eventually wiped it, but that was some time ago and I will try it again at some point. It was actually stable (Wheezy) that I was complaining about with new hardware. Something like Ubuntu's "LTS Enablement" repo would be useful for Debian.

Comment

Originally posted by chrisb View Post

its more about upstart vs systemd / mir vs wayland etc

i know packages are same

but iam still not sure, iam on ubuntu since 6 years, debian always had some problems

Comment

Working...
                    X