Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Arch 2012.11.01 Switches To Linux 3.6 Kernel

Phoronix: Arch 2012.11.01 Switches To Linux 3.6 Kernel

The Arch Linux project has shipped their monthly install media update for the distribution that's popular with Linux enthusiasts...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Still no installer that can set you up with a desktop?

Comment

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
      Wrong distro

Comment

Originally posted by fackamato View Post
        Wrong distro
        Any other rolling release distros out there that actually can be installed by mere mortals?

Comment

Any other rolling release distros out there that actually can be installed by mere mortals?
          If the mortal can read, Archlinux can be installed. Not trollling, you just need to partition your target, format it, install some packages, change a config, update your boot loader and you're done. Try it!

Comment

Originally posted by fackamato View Post
            If the mortal can read, Archlinux can be installed. Not trollling, you just need to partition your target, format it, install some packages, change a config, update your boot loader and you're done. Try it!
            I did try it. I hated it :-P And I'm a Gentoo user, even. I guess I was looking for "emerge kde", but didn't find it.

Comment

I guess I was looking for "emerge kde", but didn't find it.
              "pacman -S kde" didn't work for you? That would automatically take your system from base install to full KDE.

Comment

I did try it. I hated it :-P And I'm a Gentoo user, even. I guess I was looking for "emerge kde", but didn't find it.
                Um. Not sure if troll. The stupidity, it burns.

Comment

I blame the system, not the user ;-)

Comment

You might be interested in Manjaro Linux. Or Archbang Linux. I'd mention Chakra too, but you might not be that much of a KDE fan(only available DE there).
                    All rolling, very recent packages. The first too are pretty much Arch, but a bit pre-configured you could say. They both get you a desktop after install.
                    There's likely more, but I don't remember now. I think Manjaro have their own repos and do a little bit more testing than Arch(but it's still bleeding edge).

Comment

Working...
                    X