Xorg.conf in Ubuntu 9.10?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Xorg.conf in Ubuntu 9.10?

I'm wondering if I should wait for Lucid 10.04 or try Ubuntu 9.10?

I was just really curious what should be in the xorg.conf file in Ubuntu 9.10. If you have a Radeon RV250 / Mobility 9000, what should be in there? What features/capabilities does this card have with the open source driver (only one supported)?

I've had some settings there that allowed for some 3D but not sure what can be used.

Anyone try Karmic with a Radeon 9000?

I have been to the ThinkWiki for this card but it only offers some info but no example for a xorg.conf file. It is needed in 9.10 because the default doesn't allow 3D as it will crash or more accurately, lock up. One can't even boot up unless you use safe mode and then change the xorg.conf file if you want to use the radeon driver (since desktop effects is enabled via default).

Maybe I should use 10.04? It's currently in Alpha stage, though. I usually use Debian but wanted to experiment with Ubuntu.

I'm tired of trying out settings without some expertise advice, though. ;-)

I don't have that chip, but all I got are ATI chips . My xorg.conf file only has the "Device" section inside, which in turn only has the driver, busid, identifier, and power saving options. I don't know how well power saving will work on your chip, but according to the feature matrix it's at least supported. Here is the radeon feature matrix so you can get an idea of what your chip can do with the driver.

Comment

Theoretically, you shouldn't need anything in there unless you want to change an option. You need to troubleshoot the crashing and figure out what's causing it before you can fix it.

Comment

Originally posted by DanL View Post
        Theoretically, you shouldn't need anything in there unless you want to change an option. You need to troubleshoot the crashing and figure out what's causing it before you can fix it.
        Well, apparently, you do. Btw, OpenSUSE 11.2 has the same problem. Except, that you can boot up so I think 3D is not enabled by default but as soon as you try to enable one of the 3D options (OpenGL and XRender are the choices), one of them will not enable at all while the other option locks up the entire computer. Therefore, them leaving it as default was ridiculous. One needs to edit xorg.conf. I guess you are right, you need to know what should/can go there.

Comment

Working...
        X