Poor 2D performance with AMD Graphics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Poor 2D performance with AMD Graphics

I have a problem with the 2D performance, especially with CAD programms like Eagle (www.cadsoft.de).

Zooming into a little bit more complex graphics is really slow, even with the free Radeon driver or FGLRX, even with a AMD Athlon II X4

Compared with an old AMD Athlon XP 2000+ and GeForce 6200GS it is much slower. Also Intel Onboard Graphics (GMA950) is better than my newest AMD machine.

Will this issue be fixed in the near Future?

Regards
    burli

I've some few questions to ask you:

1- What is your Linux Distro / Catalyst version?
    Newer Catalyst versions work quite well with 2D Acceleration...

2- What is the output of your "cat /var/log/Xorg.0.log"?

3- What is your output of "dmesg"?

If there's nothing strange in your outputs, it might be a problem from Eagle, not from ATI/AMD drivers...

Cheers

Comment

Ubuntu 10.10 x86_64 with the default driver from this distribution

my Xorg Log http://pastebin.ca/1999749

the output from dmesg | grep fglrx http://pastebin.ca/1999751

And Eagle uses Qt4 and OpenGL. I think, than many Qt4 programms should have this problem

Comment

I use Ubuntu, not Kubuntu. Only Eagle is using Qt4

Comment

Qaridarium, he might not have KDE4, but (argh!) Gnome instead (If he's using "original" Ubuntu)...

From the logs you sent me, burli, I didn't find anything strange... I get similar logs with my Mobility Radeon HD 2600 card, and no 2D acceleration problems so far...
          Did you try to upgrade to Catalyst 10.11? It might solve some of your 2D acceleration problems (I heard Cat.10.11 brings some small 2D acceleration improvements in comparision with Catalyst 10.10, although I'm not using it because XvBA video acceleration doesn't work properly since Cat.10.7).

Futhermore, it's really odd both xf86-video-ati and fglrx drivers have slow Qt4 performance in your computer (at least, xf86-ati driver should gave you very fast 2D performance)...

Sorry, but seeing those logs, I don't know what else I can tell you...
          Try to upgrade your graphics driver to the latest Catalyst version...

Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by Qaridarium
            sorry i use the wrong words...

use the QT libs from the KDE4,6 release..

upgrade to ubuntu 11.4 the QT lib in 11.4 is the kde4.6 one.

kde4.6 fix some speed bugs its really faster.
            There is no kde 4.6... The lastest kde is 4.5.3.

You sure mean qt-core(qt-lib) which is 4.7.1 now.

Comment

Originally posted by crazycheese View Post
              There is no kde 4.6...
              ...yet. I think Qaridarium is talking about the latest 4.6 beta which should have been released in November.

@burli

I have a similar system (Athlon II X4, 785G) and I also don't notice bad 2D performance in my CAD software. I use a different CAD program though - Bricscad. You may want to give QCad a shot as it has awesome 2D performance (on my system) and if you still get bad performance with it then the problem is somewhere in the system. If performance is good then it's Eagle's fault.

Comment

Originally posted by Qaridarium
                be sure its a QT problem the 4,5kde do have known speed bugs
                QT is completly indipendent from KDE. So you don't need to upgrade to KDE-4.6-Beta in order to get a new version of QT4.
                QT has a really bad X11 backend, that could be a problem. I doubt Eagle is using OpenGL, i guess its simply causing software fallbacks by using too advanced QT drawing routines.

However thats all speculation. Best would be to install debugging-symbols for your whole OSS stack, and use a system-wide profiler like sysprof to see whats really going on behind the scenes.
                Everything else is pure speculation and a waste of time.

- Clemens

Comment

It does'nt matter, which Qt Lib is installed. Eagle uses static linked libraries

Comment

Doesn't Qt provide a way to specify a different rendering backend through the commandline? Try toggling between software acceleration, X11, RENDER and OpenGl to see what works best for you.

Comment

Working...
                    X