Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OpenMoko Divorces FIC, Gets New Product

Phoronix: OpenMoko Divorces FIC, Gets New Product

OpenMoko has today announced that they are now a separate company from FIC. While FIC will continue to invest in OpenMoko and will manufacturer products for the OpenMoko platform, it has become a separate company in order to further develop its brand leadership and develop new open-source business models...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I am interested in buying the OpenMoko once it's ready. What really convinced me is the Wishlist, it just shows the unlimited possibilities of the device. My favourite are:

-Emergency Call eg. when the device detects too high deacceleration
    -Dictionary and thesaurus, I'm studying Chinese so this is welcome. I could use SCIM to write SMS/emails and connect to online/offline dictionaries on the go.
    -Seamless calendar and contacts integration with my PC since both are running Linux

-Anti-theft mode
    -Dude, where's my car?
    -Bluetooth management
    -Keep-in-touch reminder

-OpenOffice presenter control
    -Mesh networking
    -Interaction with LEGO Mindstorm
    -Widgets
    -Amarok remote control
    -Extra Wii controller

I wonder what it will mean to them losing the direct support of FIC and why they had to seperate ways. Hoping for the best!

Comment

Bad wording in the News title

From the title I understood OpenMoko separated forcibly from FIC as in some disagreement inside the team.
      Originally posted by phoronix View Post
      Phoronix: OpenMoko Divorces FIC, Gets New Product
      Reading the body of the article I get to know this is not actually the case, but it is still a bad call. "separated" was a better word.
      Or first explaining the need for a separation: "<<FIC>> decided OpenMoko needs better marketing than it can provide, thus making a subsidiary company".

Comment

Working...
      X