Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD Catalyst vs. Linux 3.7 + Mesa 9.1-devel Gallium3D Performance

Phoronix: AMD Catalyst vs. Linux 3.7 + Mesa 9.1-devel Gallium3D Performance

In this article is a large OpenGL performance comparison looking at the frame-rates in different Linux games for different AMD Radeon Linux graphics cards when running the stock Ubuntu 12.10 operating system (Mesa 9.0 + Linux 3.5), the Catalyst Linux driver (fglrx 9.0.2) as found in the Ubuntu Quantal archive, and then when running the very latest Radeon Git code: The Linux 3.7 kernel, Mesa 9.1-devel, and xf86-video-ati 7.0.99 Git.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Huge improvements all around, although still far from fglrx.

Comment

Awesome! It's great to see xf86-video-ati make significant improvements in most tests. It's ~half as good as Catalyst in ~half the tests, which is great news indeed. Nice work, AMD devs. I'm eagerly awaiting the day the OSS drivers come within 80-90% performance of Catalyst on most cases and I can switch away from Catalyst 12.6 legacy.

Comment

4+ years later, the open source driver still isn't mature.

Comment

The worst benchmark results (Reaction Quake and Xonotic) are caused by inefficiency in TTM. 90% of all time is spent in TTM, which moves buffers between VRAM and RAM all the time like crazy, and 10% of time is spent on the rendering. At least we know where the problem is.

Comment

Originally posted by marek View Post
            The worst benchmark results (Reaction Quake and Xonotic) are caused by inefficiency in TTM. 90% of all time is spent in TTM, which moves buffers between VRAM and RAM all the time like crazy, and 10% of time is spent on the rendering. At least we know where the problem is.
            So you have some defined test suite for performance? Can you recommend some PTS test ? Are such perf benchmarks beneficial for you? If not those what else can be tested?

Comment

Originally posted by mark45 View Post
              4+ years later, the open source driver still isn't mature.
              Maturity can not be simplified only to performance.

And other features *WOULD* be there if only *legal* department of AMD gave green light. AMD devs had (have?) all necessary patches.

And 4y is too little to get serious performance (on pair with production that was tweaked and developed x0 of years).

Comment

Originally posted by przemoli View Post
                So you have some defined test suite for performance? Can you recommend some PTS test ? Are such perf benchmarks beneficial for you? If not those what else can be tested?

I'd imagine he's tracing.

Comment

Originally posted by przemoli View Post
                  Maturity can not be simplified only to performance.

And other features *WOULD* be there if only *legal* department of AMD gave green light. AMD devs had (have?) all necessary patches.

And 4y is too little to get serious performance (on pair with production that was tweaked and developed x0 of years).
                  bla-bla-bla. legal bla bla...

Marek said it's TTM.

Comment

Originally posted by F i L View Post
                    Awesome! It's great to see xf86-video-ati make significant improvements in most tests. It's ~half as good as Catalyst in ~half the tests, which is great news indeed. Nice work, AMD devs. I'm eagerly awaiting the day the OSS drivers come within 80-90% performance of Catalyst on most cases and I can switch away from Catalyst 12.6 legacy.
                    How sad.

AMD WAKE UP, OR YOU'LL DIE IN THE NEXT 2 YEARS CRUSHED BY NVIDIA AND INTEL. YOU KNOW WAY BETTER THAN ME HOW MUCH TRUTH THERE IS IN WHAT I JUST SAID.

Comment

Working...
                    X