Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD's New Catalyst Driver Is Available To All Linux Users

Phoronix: AMD's New Catalyst Driver Is Available To All Linux Users

Yesterday saw a SteamOS Linux update that shipped a new AMD Catalyst Linux driver that reportedly worked much better for popular Steam Linux games. That driver update led Valve to officially support AMD (and Intel) graphics on SteamOS. For non-SteamOS Linux users, that new AMD driver update is available for other distributions...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Finaly support for xorg 1.14!

But xorg 1.15 already on arch testing repository and xorg 1.16 already proposed =(

Comment

13.11 v9.95 after 13.12??

Kind of strange that they release a beta numbered 13.11 beta v9.95 after releasing a driver numbered 13.12.

The package maintainers are going to love the numbering the implies a downgrade ...

Comment

Originally posted by rrohbeck
        radeonsi is slow but doesn't crash my X session (any more.)
        You should test the distance alpha then http://survivethedistance.com/
        It hangs the radeonsi driver pretty hard for me...

But on a positive note: That's the only thing that I have had any problems with for a rather long time.

I even have much more problems with the intel driver randomly hanging. But intel pretty much always recovers after 10 seconds.

Code:
        $ dmesg | grep stuck
        [30860.843896] [drm] stuck on render ring
        [75901.275528] [drm] stuck on render ring
        [100180.921909] [drm] stuck on render ring
        [115240.793172] [drm] stuck on render ring

Comment

Originally posted by gerddie View Post
          Kind of strange that they release a beta numbered 13.11 beta v9.95 after releasing a driver numbered 13.12.

The package maintainers are going to love the numbering the implies a downgrade ...
          This! This! Can we PLEASE have sane version numbering? I can see that I have nvidia 325.15 installed (with dpkg --list, no less!), and that 330 is newer. But fgrlx you have the catalyst version which is stupid as hell, and has no relation to the installed version number (I love when different fglrx versions all generate the same deb package version), and before we had version-betaXX now we have beta vsubversion.subsubversion. CAN WE PLEASE END THIS HELLISH MADNESS?!?

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisXY View Post
            You should test the distance alpha then http://survivethedistance.com/
            It hangs the radeonsi driver pretty hard for me...

But on a positive note: That's the only thing that I have had any problems with for a rather long time.

I even have much more problems with the intel driver randomly hanging. But intel pretty much always recovers after 10 seconds.

Code:
            $ dmesg | grep stuck
            [30860.843896] [drm] stuck on render ring
            [75901.275528] [drm] stuck on render ring
            [100180.921909] [drm] stuck on render ring
            [115240.793172] [drm] stuck on render ring
            Which Intel CPU do you have? And what is the version of the kernel you used?
            I had the same issue with 3.13-rc7 then I downgraded to 3.12.6. Also do you have any problems with heating?
            I noticed that the temperatures of my laptop are much higher with 3.13-rc7 compared to 3.12.6.

Comment

I've been using the radeon drivers for about a half year now and so far I only have 1 game completely unplayable in it (immediate crash). Otherwise, I've had a noticeably better experience with the open source drivers. I'd like to use Catalyst because then I get Crossfire support, but crossfire doesn't even work in any games I own (only the Heaven benchmark) so it isn't really worth using.

It's kind of irritating, because what one driver is good at, the other one is bad at, and vice versa. Since the open source drivers are improving at a rapid rate and since I don't tend to play games in linux that often, I've decided to stick with the open source drivers. Whenever I get the opportunity to switch to wayland, I guess that'll help make my decision much easier.

Comment

WTF?

The following packages must be installed in order for the AMD Catalyst? Linux graphics driver to install and work optimally:
                - gimp-help-en
                - gimp-help-common
                Why the hell Catalyst is depending on GIMP help files?

Comment

Originally posted by Rakot View Post
                  Which Intel CPU do you have? And what is the version of the kernel you used?
                  I had the same issue with 3.13-rc7 then I downgraded to 3.12.6.
                  Ivy Bridge and yes, 3.13, but this has been going on for a long time now.
                  Not sure about the heat.

Comment

So, here is a question: I have been out of the Linux game for the past 3 years and when I left AMD looked like they would have working OS drivers in the next one or two years.; why are these closed drivers still neccesary? Are the OS drivers done yet? If so; what's taking so damn long?

Comment

Working...
                    X