Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Asus P5Q vs Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3L vs ECS P45T-A

Hi,

I have to choose between these 3 alterntatives considering quality and compatibility with linux (I use kubuntu 64 bit).

I read some bad comments on Asus P5Q which is the MoBo I just bought :
    [ubuntu] Don't buy P45 chipset (especially Asus P5Q)
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=890604

But I can change it (if it's worth it) with
    Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3L (rev. 1.0)

or
    ECS P45T-A (V1.0)

I've read the review on phoronix of the gigabyte one: that would be a good alternative, but I'n not sure if considering the features it would be better to go for the ECS or stay with the Asus one... if compatibility is good for these two.

I haven't been able to find much info on the ECS one, or much more on the Asus.

The rest of my hardware is:
    CPU INTEL CORE 2 DUO E8500 - 3.16 GHZ 1333 MHZ DUAL CORE BOX
    nVidia GeForce? 9800GT 512MB
    Corsair XMS2 DDR2 2Gb (2x1Gb) PC6400C4DHX
    500 gb sata2 western digital 7200rpm
    TOPOWER M2 600W ATX 12V2.0 20+4 PINES
    thermaltake wing RS100

You don't want the problems that come with 1 P45 board so you are considering swapping it of another? Why? It's the same chipset it'll have the same problems. Problems which by the way shouldn't effect you if you are using the lastest ubuntu as it has a recent enough kernel (anything > 2.6.26 should work).

Comment

You don't need to change your board, every current distro from this year will work - also U 8.10.

Comment

I have asus P5Q in Ubuntu 8.10 and all work perfectly. Only have a minor problem with temperature sensors

Comment

Originally posted by Kano View Post
          You don't need to change your board, every current distro from this year will work - also U 8.10.
          Originally posted by TASADAR-F View Post
          I have asus P5Q in Ubuntu 8.10 and all work perfectly. Only have a minor problem with temperature sensors
          Great... that was what I expected... the "problems" I found were mentioned near the date the MoBo was released, so I hoped they were solved by now. I got insecure when on the store I bought it, the guy recommended me the gigabyte (cheaper) for linux

Thanks for the answers

Comment

Didn't see this answer before:
            Originally posted by Aradreth View Post
            You don't want the problems that come with 1 P45 board so you are considering swapping it of another? Why? It's the same chipset it'll have the same problems. Problems which by the way shouldn't effect you if you are using the lastest ubuntu as it has a recent enough kernel (anything > 2.6.26 should work).
            Motherboards are not only the North Bridge chipset. There are problems with p5q that don't have to do with p45 chipset: ie network (Atheros) and Audio (Realtek ALC1200), which are different from the other p45 MoBo I mention (Realtek 8111C and Realtek ALC888). The solutions mentioned for the network problem requiered compiling the kernel which I would like to avoid, and prefer an out of the box working system.

Comment

ASUS P5Q in Ubuntu 8.10.

SATA AHCI work perfecty
              Atheros LAN "ATL1E" work perfectly
              Sound realtek ALC1200 work very good for up sound change "side" sound control to 100%.

I'm very happy with this motherboard all work perfectly

My computer:

Intel E8400
              Asus p5Q
              RAM DDR2 800 2x2GB kingston
              Corsair HX520W
              Graphic card ATI HD4670
              recorder Plextor 810 SATA
              HARD DISK WD caviar black 640GB
              Last edited by TASADAR-F; 12 January 2009, 12:17 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by TASADAR-F View Post
                ASUS P5Q in Ubuntu 8.10.

SATA AHCI work perfecty
                Atheros LAN "ATL1E" work perfectly
                Sound realtek ALC1200 work very good for up sound change "side" sound control to 100%.

I'm very happy with this motherboard all work perfectly
                Yep, I got that from your previous answer ... now I'm wondering though: do they work out of the box?

Cheers!

Comment

Yes. All work out of the box.

Only a minor sound problem "low sound". Fix in one minute (change "side" control to 100%).

I will answer all your questions.

Comment

Thank you very much, really

Now considering your willingness to help :P do you believe, considering there is no compatibility issue then, that is it worth it to stay with the P5Q, although it's about 20% more expensive than the Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3L. Considering that at least for now I'll be using the PC for watching movies (HD), and playing games mainly. ?Would performance be noticeably better? ?Is there other advantage you believe important? ?Any important feature I would miss if I go for the cheaper alternative? (I'm asking you your personal opinion, so I can have more arguments to stay with the p5q... because at one point I was pretty convinced to go for the gigabyte one).

Cheers

Comment

Working...
                    X