Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The State Of Unity In Ubuntu 11.04 Alpha 1

Phoronix: The State Of Unity In Ubuntu 11.04 Alpha 1

The first alpha release of Ubuntu 11.04 is set to arrive this Thursday and one of the most prominent changes to be found in Canonical's April 2011 Linux distribution update is the Unity desktop by default rather than GNOME2 or the GNOME 3.0 Shell on the desktop -- up to this point Ubuntu's Unity had just been used on the Ubuntu Netbook Edition. For those that have yet to try out the latest Ubuntu "Natty Narwhal" packages in preparation for this first alpha release, you are probably curious how far along is this new Unity desktop. Well, fortunately, Canonical's Rick Spencer who is the Director of Ubuntu Engineering has provided a Unity update...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I'm happy to hear Ubuntu admit that the performance of Unity is not good at the moment. My experience with it on my netbook was very painful.

Comment

i like that they are rating their own apps

Comment

first id like to express my impression on the graph.
        it does look like an arbitrarily drawn circle as "the goal" - the yellow line i suppose for there is no explanation on the graph.
        what is the blue line? what is the red one?
        who did that? an accountant? no profile, no personal taste is to be seen.
        im sorry to say that but it looks pathetic... and again the missing explanation

im curious what the unity desktop will be like. i kinda like it, though, the functionality right now is a bit limited

Comment

oh, i forgot. will it ever work on intel chips like i945 or is opengl 2.0 needed so its only gonna work with gallium which intel seems to miss... for whatever reason

Comment

Originally posted by jakubo View Post
            first id like to express my impression on the graph.
            it does look like an arbitrarily drawn circle as "the goal" - the yellow line i suppose for there is no explanation on the graph.
            what is the blue line? what is the red one?
            who did that? an accountant? no profile, no personal taste is to be seen.
            im sorry to say that but it looks pathetic... and again the missing explanation
            There is a legend right next to the graph. Going by the legend the yellow line is their target goal, the blue line is the state of Unity as in Ubuntu 10.10, and the red line is the state of Unity as currently in development.

Comment

Originally posted by jakubo View Post
              oh, i forgot. will it ever work on intel chips like i945 or is opengl 2.0 needed so its only gonna work with gallium which intel seems to miss... for whatever reason
              It will work even without OpenGL. Compiz 0.9.x FTW!

Comment

oh... im terribly sorry.... stupid me, i must have not seen it... but actually im sure there was none... michael, can you help me get rid of the confusion? (sounds almost bible-like XD)

Comment

Canonical is lucky because Unity will be shipped with 2.6.38 kernel which will have the responsiveness patch by default. So for the end user the system will feel faster even if Unity is slower than the actual Gnome.
                  I LOVE unity btw. It's the way I always tried my Desktop to look like.

Originally posted by BlackStar View Post
                  It will work even without OpenGL. Compiz 0.9.x FTW!
                  Sorry I don't understand that

Comment

I can confirm that Unity 10.10 performance was horrible, but is already fantastic with 11.04 Alpha, so don't worry about that part.

Comment

Working...
                    X