Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• In Road To Qt, Audacious Switches From GTK3 Back To GTK2

Phoronix: In Road To Qt, Audacious Switches From GTK3 Back To GTK2

The popular Audacious open-source audio player was ported to GNOME's GTK+ 3.x tool-kit, but now developers have decided to move back to their GTK2 user-interface port while ultimately they are planning for a Qt version...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Maybe they can revert version number too , 3.x was bumped because of gtk3. .

Comment

Hooray!!

I've been using kinda old 3.2.4 so far 'cause I refuse to use anything based on GTK3.

Comment

funny reading this. Until now, I wasn't aware that they wanted to port to Qt. Going back to gtk2 for stability makes some sense, as gtk2 is as stable as it's going to get!
        I've been a long time audacious user but recently switched away from it, preferring qt programs with my kde desktop.
        Until audacious makes 'the right' switch toolkit-wise, I guess it wouldn't be wrong to link to http://qmmp.ylsoftware.com/.
        Qmmp is like audacious, at least it support the classic winamp interface styles and does what it says on the box - play music!

Comment

I guess it's not that surprising, not everyone wants part of what Gnome is building, but given they switched to Gtk3 in the first place it is slightly confusing.

Comment

well also Lubuntu is moving from Gtk2 to QT by LxQt graphical environment.

Comment

If you want your stuff to run on windows - Qt is the only reasonable solution.
              For Gtk window$ and mac are just an afterthought, for example, to this day only the ancient gtk2 version of gedit is available for windows.

Comment

Writing non-gnome stuff with GTK3 is like eating a cactus.
                "GTK3 was made for GNOME DE, we don't care if it's used anywhere else." -- official position of GNOME devs.

Comment

I can only understand and welcome their choice (even if I don?t use Audacious) after having seen the disaster caused by a recent Gtk3 update (no more window borders, broken display?). Not to mention the early problems that still haven?t been fixed like the broken scrollbars. It looks like the only sane GUI choice nowadays is Qt? (which I don?t like much, mainly because it?s C++? but it could be worse).

Comment

Awesome! Audacious is one of the first apps I used when I switched to Linux 3 years ago, and to this day it is IMO one of the best designed GTK apps out there. When they released their last GTK2 supported version, I stopped upgrading (and am using 3.0.4 to this day) because GTK3 looks plain horrible. Looks like I will finally be able to compile an up to date version again =)

I'm a bit sad about the switch to Qt because GTK2 is a very good looking toolkit, although I can understand it all the way, as I highly prefer Qt to it when developing my own programs (good cross platform support being just advantage).

Comment

Working...
                    X