Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Red Hat Comes Around With RHEL 6.0 Beta 2

Phoronix: Red Hat Comes Around With RHEL 6.0 Beta 2

Back in April was the first beta of Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6.0, but now arriving two and a half months later is the second beta of the forthcoming RHEL6 that's a major update to Red Hat's enterprise Linux operating system...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    Phoronix: Red Hat Comes Around With RHEL 6.0 Beta 2

Back in April was the first beta of Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6.0, but now arriving two and a half months later is the second beta of the forthcoming RHEL6 that's a major update to Red Hat's enterprise Linux operating system...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=ODM4Mg
    Have the performance regressions between CentOS 5.4 and RHEL 6.0 Beta 1 been fixed in RHEL 6.0 Beta 2?

Comment

Originally posted by Shining Arcanine View Post
      Have the performance regressions between CentOS 5.4 and RHEL 6.0 Beta 1 been fixed in RHEL 6.0 Beta 2?
      I could say yes but if you have a bug report to refer to, we would actually be able to know what you are referring to

Comment

I'm tempted to give this a spin; it sounds pretty cool. I've been dragging my feet on trying RHEL/CentOS since it's been stuck with an older desktop stack for so long (I had an issue that was only fixed a few months ago, and maybe only in KMS), but it looks like RHEL6 could be a pretty nice platform even for a non-"enterprise" user. Now here's hoping that Xilinx will bother supporting it sometime this decade...

Comment

Okay, got it installed. So far the experience is pretty smooth. My only complaint is that it gave me a somewhat misleading error message when automatic "Free Space" paritioning failed. I got:

"Could not allocate requested partitions: not enough free space on disks."

At that time I had upwards of 150GB free on the disk, but it would have all had to somehow be crammed into one primary partition entry. It seems that the installer wants to create one primary boot partition and then wants another partition (primary or logical) to create an LVM volume, so I expanded my existing extended partition (which was full) and all was well. This is apparently a known problem/solution in the Fedora community, but the error message still sucks pretty bad. I'd probably file a bug except that I don't have any idea where it goes and I've already stayed up late enough playing with this. Maybe tomorrow.

Comment

Working...
          X