Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HDA Intel Audio To Improve A Lot In Linux 3.9 Kernel

Phoronix: HDA Intel Audio To Improve A Lot In Linux 3.9 Kernel

With we are only about half-way through the development of the Linux 3.8 kernel, there's already exciting features beginning to enter the development spotlight for Linux 3.9. One of the features coming to the Linux 3.9 kernel will be grand changes to the very common "HDA Intel" audio codec drivers...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

About time ...

Comment

Originally posted by alexThunder View Post
      About time ...
      Who cares? Such cards are only usable when your music is nothing, but midi files.

Comment

HDA audio drivers seems indeed to need some improvements, and my intel E5 workstation HDA chip is not recognized yet. The audio side of linux could use some serious tightening up, and the people at LAD (linux-audio-developers) seem really sloppy.

I do believe making a professional DAW sequencer, coud help tighten things up, and I have 20 yrs experience with them.

Please read my software ideas, if you think you have the experience to contribute to such software. I have already written most the DSP, and you would have to write the sequencer and mixing engine, but I can supervise. Ultimately it would be good to reconcile the different standards and paradigm/sofware/solutions for audio, into one amazing package.

Peace Be With You.

Comment

Glad to hear there's a test-suite now, even if it is only rudimentary. At least theres SOME way of testing for regressions at this point. Glad to hear that theres now a generic driver to handle most cards, its kind of necessary with a monolithic kernel really because its not like windows where if we dont have audio at install-time we can just go out and download an .exe package to install the driver.
          All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Originally posted by Pawlerson View Post
            Who cares? Such cards are only usable when your music is nothing, but midi files.
            We should all buy Sound Blaster cards, +1. </sarcasm>

The Intel HDA audio is good enough for 101.6%* of people.

* may be inaccurate, ?1.7%

Comment

Who cares?
              Notebook users?

Comment

Originally posted by alexThunder View Post
                Notebook users?
                Even notebook users can use USB sound cards. However, I understand not everyone cares about sound quality.

Comment

Even notebook users can use USB sound cards. However, I understand not everyone cares about sound quality.
                  I do care for quality, so I bought a dedicated sound card for my desktop. In addition, there are some more devices attached to it for different purposes. But I don't want to carry around extra devices with my notebook, because mobility deceases...which beats the actual purpose of a notebook, doesn't it?

Still, Intel HDA stinks so much, that I bought an external USB device for my notebook.

Comment

For most people the sound quality is fine. There are still the speakers to be considered, and if they're not very good then even a fantastic sound card won't make high-quality audio sound good.

I have a pretty good sound card in my desktop, but if I'm on my laptop it's because I want to sit in the lounge or in the pub more than I want the best quality sound or best graphics performance.

Comment

Working...
                    X