No announcement yet.

Upgrading my Processor, is it possible?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Upgrading my Processor, is it possible?

I've never installed a new processor myself and I am getting ready to. However before I do I was wondering if i could exchange my intel core duo for a AMD Phenom 9850 Quad-Core Processor. I need a reply because I would like to have some input before i purchase a new processor. TY

Unfortunately the Intel and AMD sockets are not the same, so you either have to upgrade Intel->Intel or AMD->AMD. Even then you need to be careful to make sure both old and new CPUs are designed for the same socket.
    Test signature

Comment

What would be your advice as for upgrading my processor. i know intel has a quad core now but it costs somewhere around $1000. i need a processor for my gaming laptop and i dont know if a quad core would even fit. this makes me feel really stupid...

Comment

Don't worry, after 30 years I'm still asking questions

I have to admit that my first thought is "if it's a laptop, don't upgrade the processor". Upgrades are a lot easier with desktops, where you can upgrade the cooler and power supply as well if needed.
        Test signature

Comment

CPU upgrades in laptops are almost always impossible.
          For desktop PCs and workstations, CPU's come as add-in components or boards with a connector socket.
          For most laptops, the CPU is hardwired to the laptop mainboard, or even if they aren't, the board isn't behind one of the access panels that can be opened for upgrades.
          95% of the time or more, CPU upgrades in laptops, even if possible, are not a job for an end-user,
          so contacting the place where you purchased it about the possibility of an upgrade or a trade-in of the laptop would be the thing to do here. Or sell it on eBay and buy one with the gaming spec that you need.

HTH

Comment

Originally posted by Pho3n1x View Post
            What would be your advice as for upgrading my processor. i know intel has a quad core now but it costs somewhere around $1000. i need a processor for my gaming laptop and i dont know if a quad core would even fit. this makes me feel really stupid...
            Dual cores are fine for gaming as very few games can actually take advantage of 4 cores as well as typically being GPU bound. As for a quad core laptop I only know of one laptop with a quad core and it's a beast [1]. (over 5KG 8GB of ram and 3 320GB hd in RAID 5...).

But back to the actual question quad core in laptop is currently not really possible they require two much power and put out to much heat and doing it yourself (without a guide) is no job for a normal person as you would probably need to solder the CPU onto the motherboard.

Oh and $1000 for a intel quad is only the high end look at the Q6600 which is a similar price to the AMD offerings.

[1] http://web.eurocom.com/EC/ec_model_config1(1,188,0)

Comment

Working...
            X