Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wine 1.5.4 Brings OpenGL For The DIB

Phoronix: Wine 1.5.4 Brings OpenGL For The DIB

It's time for another bi-weekly Wine development snapshot. The latest release arriving on Friday, Wine 1.5.4, offers up a few interesting features...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

"A negotiate authentication provider."

= Diablo III launch support

Comment

- A new DirectSound re-sampler.
      Perhaps that's why I've got sound issues in Assassin's Creed (Gog version) then? I had to lower the number of audio voices to 16 (default is 48) and I still hear jitter occasionally when there's a lot going on in the game. I'm sure it will work nicely once it's perfected though.

Comment

I'm now satisfied for being able to pump 48KHz and 22KHz sampled sound with good quality.

Comment

Originally posted by psycho_driver View Post
          "A negotiate authentication provider."

= Diablo III launch support
          y'know, that just inspired me with a nifty idea. For companies such as Blizzard and Adobe (which aren't against linux but don't care enough to support it), how about instead of making a native linux client they just try developing toward Wine instead? Yes, I know that's still pretty crappy since that means we're still not getting the real thing, but it's better than no attention whatsoever. Besides, something like this could help other programs made by the same company work. If wine gets enough dedicated support, nobody needs to worry about whether something will work in linux or not.

As an alternative, maybe companies could just take a current version of wine, highly modify it to only run nothing but the game/application itself, and then they've got their "linux native" release without spending much time or effort. I know this too might not be a preferable method, but maybe the companies don't want their programs running in wine, but they do want linux support.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
            y'know, that just inspired me with a nifty idea. For companies such as Blizzard and Adobe (which aren't against linux but don't care enough to support it), how about instead of making a native linux client they just try developing toward Wine instead? Yes, I know that's still pretty crappy since that means we're still not getting the real thing, but it's better than no attention whatsoever. Besides, something like this could help other programs made by the same company work. If wine gets enough dedicated support, nobody needs to worry about whether something will work in linux or not.

As an alternative, maybe companies could just take a current version of wine, highly modify it to only run nothing but the game/application itself, and then they've got their "linux native" release without spending much time or effort. I know this too might not be a preferable method, but maybe the companies don't want their programs running in wine, but they do want linux support.
            They can just sendng patches to wine for the features that their applications need, dont need any quik and dirty versions for every application.
            And btw I think that for Blizzard its easyer to release their already built clients than make a wine version for their games.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post

If its easier for them to do that than port the game, I'm all for it.

Also, from what I'm told, wine actually helped port Chrome over to Linux, so who knows.

Comment

Originally posted by Thaodan View Post
                They can just sendng patches to wine for the features that their applications need, dont need any quik and dirty versions for every application.
                True, although Wine developers are known for their idealism, while large companies are known for their unclean code.

Comment

Is there ever going to a PulseAudio plugin again? (maybe...?)

I'm seriously considering taking the issue into my own hands. The only problem is I know very little about Wine's code and Windows programming in general. I just wonder if I could scrape something together using the ALSA driver as a template.

Comment

Originally posted by the8lack8ox View Post
                    Is there ever going to a PulseAudio plugin again? (maybe...?)

I'm seriously considering taking the issue into my own hands. The only problem is I know very little about Wine's code and Windows programming in general. I just wonder if I could scrape something together using the ALSA driver as a template.
                    Someone (I forgot his name - sorry) has already working PulseAudio implementation. IIRC it only has to be cleaned up and brought up to Wine coding standard...

Comment

Working...
                    X