Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• X.Org 7.4 Creeps Closer To Release

Phoronix: X.Org 7.4 Creeps Closer To Release

Earlier this month we had shared the progress of X.Org 7.4 with the features slated to be included in this next X release, what features have been postponed, and the repeated delays that always seem to plague the X.Org development community. Since then there still has yet to be any official update on its status, but the Wiki continues to claim a May 2008 release. Fortunately, yesterday Adam Jackson stepped up again and released a number of X package updates, which places us a bit closer to reaching this much-delayed release.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Makes me kinda sad that there are so few Xorg developers that the release will get a one year delay

Comment

Originally posted by NeoBrain View Post
      Makes me kinda sad that there are so few Xorg developers that the release will get a one year delay

I'm actually kind of glad they don't release new major versions every other month. IMHO more projects have to slow down when releasing new versions. Fix the existing bugs before slapping in more features to further complicate the process.

/evileye glare @ wine.
      Last edited by deanjo; 22 May 2008, 09:35 AM.

Comment

i think xorg is doing ok. such major piece of software doesn't need often release dates. they may be scarce bu they better be good.

same goes for glibc.

Comment

It's not good

It is all well and good to have slow or few releases in a year, but I still think that it is a bad situation when features are cut and the realease is still delayed. Frankly it should be one or the other

Comment

Given that xorg is almost entirely a volunteer effort, I see it differently; I'm consistently impressed with what we *do* get.
            Test signature

Comment

a bit un-impressed...

It's indeed a volunteer effort, but the time line pressure makes for a worse release experience in my opinion, there's tons of projects that just bears the traditional phrase 'when it's done' and, in this case, I think it would be better for Xorg.

Once I pinged the xorg mailing list for a report on the status for 1.4.1 release, and it was nice because it ended generating a bit of traffic, but that's not enough... polling is not a bad method for requesting some real progress, but definitely not a solution. The real solution? just let them release the drivers and make the releases as soon as they're ready.

But don't take me wrong... it would be great if they could fit the release planning criteria, but they actually fail because some drivers are broken, discussions on whether the Xorg tree should be merged (ala Kernel or XFree86 to be more graphics-wise) or not, and a variety of reasons that slow down the actual progress... a good work for their part? absolutely. a good work on their planning? absolutely not.

(but that's just my opinion on the subject)

Julio

Comment

This comment is interesting also:

I hope something good comes out of that.

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
                  Given that xorg is almost entirely a volunteer effort, I see it differently; I'm consistently impressed with what we *do* get.
                  speaking of which, i would be nice if amd would hire a few programmers to have them work on x.org exclusively.

right now amd has recruited few x.org people but they are mostly occupied with x.org development side-quests ;-) [like helping with documentation releases, which is not a bad thing]

there are few x.org developers already working in that manner getting paid by various companies, but the more the better.

Comment

well, there's definitely a need for more x-coders. it is one of the most important piece of software in linux. i hope that companies like nokia get more devolopers to work on it...

Comment

Working...
                    X