hald wont start?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hald wont start?

Hey guys, I posted this question on the Gentoo forums but it hasnt gotten much attention there. I really need to get this problem solved so that I can use my computer. Discs wont automount in gnome without hald. Network manager wont start without hald, and so on and on.. I really need to get this fixed.

The problem is that hald wont start. If I do an "/etc/init.d/hald start" all I get is a little red symbol on the right side of the screen.... This is a screenshot of the problem...

Now with some help from a user at the gentoo forums he told me to start hald manually as a daemon like this "hald --daemon=no --verbose=yes" and this is the error that hald spit out...

Code:
    # hald --daemon=no --verbose=yes
    10:57:27.707 [I] hald.c:533: hal 0.5.9.1
    10:57:27.707 [I] hald.c:598: Will not daemonize
    10:57:27.719 [I] hald_dbus.c:4807: local server is listening at unix:abstract=/var/run/hald/dbus-ogMQpbZ5BY,guid=9ab7ac6706a67744edcd122a482071d7
    10:57:27.720 [E] hald_dbus.c:5086: dbus_bus_get(): Failed to connect to socket /var/run/dbus/system_bus_socket: Connection refused
    It's saying that it failed to connect to socket? Connection refused? What does that mean? And how can I go about fixing it so that it will work?

Well, guys I figured out the problem... And it's not my fault. I'm kind of annoyed that it even happened becouse it is so simple it should have never even happened in the first place. Not to mention that it should have spit out --some-- kind of error message.

It turns out that hald wont start if dbus or acpid starts before it. In order for hald to start it needs to load before either dbus or acpid. All I had to do to fix it was to go into /etc/init.d/hald and add acpid and dbus to the needs line. A simple 1 line fix. Took me two whole days to figure it out. Why? Becouse of nonexistent error messages and poor documentation. I mean come on. This has got to be the most ridiculous and pointless loss of time I've ever come across. All becouse someone forgot to add acpid as a dependency of hald.

Just plain stupid is what it is.

The person writing these init scripts should have caught that before he even made it public, and even then people running the testing builds should have caught it. I guess it just goes to show just how poorly tested Gentoo really is. That something this simple has gotten past the developer of the script, past the testing keyword, and is now marked stable. The fact that this simple little oversight can cripple a system, and that it is marked stable says volumes. The number of unstable scripts and packages that are marked stable on Gentoo is simply staggering. Absolutely overwhelming. It's completely ridiculous.

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post
      Well, guys I figured out the problem... And it's not my fault. I'm kind of annoyed that it even happened becouse it is so simple it should have never even happened in the first place. Not to mention that it should have spit out --some-- kind of error message.

It turns out that hald wont start if dbus or acpid starts before it. In order for hald to start it needs to load before either dbus or acpid. All I had to do to fix it was to go into /etc/init.d/hald and add acpid and dbus to the needs line. A simple 1 line fix. Took me two whole days to figure it out. Why? Becouse of nonexistent error messages and poor documentation. I mean come on. This has got to be the most ridiculous and pointless loss of time I've ever come across. All becouse someone forgot to add acpid as a dependency of hald.
      hald has always needed dbus in order to start and dbus needed udev to start. this worked quite well with gentoo for a lot of time.

Just plain stupid is what it is.

The person writing these init scripts should have caught that before he even made it public, and even then people running the testing builds should have caught it. I guess it just goes to show just how poorly tested Gentoo really is. That something this simple has gotten past the developer of the script, past the testing keyword, and is now marked stable. The fact that this simple little oversight can cripple a system, and that it is marked stable says volumes. The number of unstable scripts and packages that are marked stable on Gentoo is simply staggering. Absolutely overwhelming. It's completely ridiculous.
      my hald script has this:

Code:
      depend() {
              use logger acpid
              need dbus
              after coldplug dns nscd
      }
      so it's a problem of your and not a gentoo one.

Comment

Working...
      X