Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Netbook Performance: Ubuntu vs. OpenSolaris

Phoronix: Netbook Performance: Ubuntu vs. OpenSolaris

In the past we have published OpenSolaris vs. Linux Kernel benchmarks and similar articles looking at the performance of Sun's OpenSolaris up against popular Linux distributions. We have looked at the performance on high-end AMD workstations, but we have never compared the OpenSolaris and Linux performance on netbooks. Well, not until today. In this article we have results comparing OpenSolaris 2009.06 and Ubuntu 9.04 on the Dell Inspiron Mini 9 netbook.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Who'd like to run opensolaris on a netbook (except saying it's possible) ???
    And for doing what ?

Comment

Anyone who uses Solaris / OpenSolaris on other systems and wants consistency ?
      Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
        Anyone who uses Solaris / OpenSolaris on other systems and wants consistency ?
        Sure. Won't make many sales though...

Comment

Originally posted by Fixxer_Linux View Post
          Sure. Won't make many sales though...
          So Microsoft Windows must be the best OS available.. since it makes many sales. Much more than Linux!

Comment

Originally posted by MartjeB View Post
            So Microsoft Windows must be the best OS available.. since it makes many sales. Much more than Linux!
            Nope. Solaris is much older then Linux and Solaris is almost no more (we'll see what Oracle will do). Windows has monopoly on desktops and was there quite long before Linux (*). In other words it's like this in my opinion:

Solaris → Linux (very fast progress)

Windows → Linux (slow and hard progress - *).

Comment

Originally posted by kraftman View Post
              Nope. Solaris is much older then Linux and Solaris is almost no more (we'll see what Oracle will do). Windows has monopoly on desktops and was there quite long before Linux (*). In other words it's like this in my opinion:

Solaris → Linux (very fast progress)

Windows → Linux (slow and hard progress - *).
              sorry to play on words but.. fast progress... or regression if one accidentally considers that Solaris users were not forced to start using it nor because they are not smart enough to play with Linux

I want to apologize... I have a terrible secret I want to share... I switched from Linux to Solaris as 24/7 desktop because I like it much better. I'd rather avoid switching back to Linux (FreeBSD is my second weapon of choice).
              It's only a matter of personal taste, I have no reason to spread FUD as some Linux fundamentalists do. Both operating systems do their job in a slightly different manner.

As for Solaris future: wait and see...

I don't like the way more and more Linux user become arrogant and intolerant... wanting to kill every other species in the opensource OS ecosystem...

Not tired of Microsoft monopoly and FUD ? The Linux community want to build its own cathedral too ?

I'm being tired of single minded and obtuse people...

Comment

Originally posted by jollyd View Post
                sorry to play on words but.. fast progress... or regression if one accidentally considers that Solaris users were not forced to start using it nor because they are not smart enough to play with Linux

I want to apologize... I have a terrible secret I want to share... I switched from Linux to Solaris as 24/7 desktop because I like it much better. I'd rather avoid switching back to Linux (FreeBSD is my second weapon of choice).
                It's only a matter of personal taste, I have no reason to spread FUD as some Linux fundamentalists do. Both operating systems do their job in a slightly different manner.

As for Solaris future: wait and see...

I don't like the way more and more Linux user become arrogant and intolerant... wanting to kill every other species in the opensource OS ecosystem...

Not tired of Microsoft monopoly and FUD ? The Linux community want to build its own cathedral too ?

I'm being tired of single minded and obtuse people...
                JollyD, you are interesting me. What are, on your opinion, the advantages of Solaris against linux or even Windows or MacOS ?
                It's not for joking you, it's really to learn. I don't know Solaris. It's seems however to be a nice OS, but I really don't know it. You say I still could install one release and see by myself. However, a install process is always a long thing (and my second hard drive is gone at western digital for exchange, it was dead-out-of-the-box).

Comment

I think Phoronix has a hidden agenda with OpenSolaris

Comment

Originally posted by cruiseoveride View Post
                    I think Phoronix has a hidden agenda with OpenSolaris
                    What makes you think that?

Comment

Working...
                    X