VIA closes driver source.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VIA closes driver source.

After long disease "open source" driver from VIA is dead. Meanwhile VIA "forgotten" to announce release of closed source one. How pathetic.
    Long unlife binary-only zombie-driver.

More on:
    VIA announced the P4M900 northbridge in May. According to marketing , it comes with the "Chrome 9 HC IGP". I'm not quite sure what the HC stands for, but that's marketing for you. The pci-id 0x3371 was listed as P4M900 in VIA's so called "open source" code drops, version XF40068. But the code in…

Closed Source Driver:
    viaarena.com is your first and best source for all of the information you’re looking for. From general topics to more of what you would expect to find here, viaarena.com has it all. We hope you find what you are searching for!
    RBEU #1000000000 - Registered Bad English User

Thanks for pointing it out, quite interesting...
    Michael Larabel
    https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Does not really matter, but it's nevertheless moronic.

Comment

Lame. I guess they felt they couldn't compete with Intel's initiative. Now all that stupid company has to do is go bankrupt and save this world from their horrible, unstable hardware and drivers. Via sucks!

Comment

This sucks, hopefully we'll eventually know why they backed out, but it probably won't really be a good reason. I actually use a via chipset for my AMD 64, but I don't use their unichrome intergrated graphics. It works quite well in linux, at least for me, never had a problem with it. But this is indeed bad news. Its very unfortunate that companies can never give open source a real chance. I think alot of them like Intel and VIA would find alot of success in such a thing, but not really for nVidia and ATi since they are competitors. Thats like Apple giving everything to Microsoft unintentionally knowing their true intentions back in the 1980's. Disaster hehe.

Comment

Well, I'm still interested in how Unichrome integrated graphics Linux drivers work in terms of performance.

Closing the source does limit the avenues of improvements. Here's to hoping that Via has actually found a great team of developers that can ramp up the performance numbers of the driver.

Comment

Originally posted by niniendowarrior View Post
              Well, I'm still interested in how Unichrome integrated graphics Linux drivers work in terms of performance.

Closing the source does limit the avenues of improvements. Here's to hoping that Via has actually found a great team of developers that can ramp up the performance numbers of the driver.
              Unfortunately, there's not a lot of players out there that can do the OpenGL driver in the first place- and most of them are Windows developers. The one thing I can assure you is that trying to wedge a Windows answer into a system to fix a Linux problem just won't work; and will produce lackluster results.

Someone in one of the players in that space told me point-blank "Show me the money" just the other day- they're all worried about IP leakage and blowing patentability, along with they just don't see any good reason for doing Linux development because they only see Microsoft's story on the numbers.

Comment

Maybe Via has changed its mind?

Unichrome.sf.net developer points in his blog
                Yup, VIA apparently will be offering source again. Fiona writes the following : "VIA’s position on supporting open source has not changed for years. VIA maintain and support both UniChrome and Chrome9 HC IGP display drivers. Each Linux driver branch binary package supports specific chips and…

to the discussion on viaarena that indicates future release of source code for upcoming 71 version of IGP driver(it should include code for 70v).
                viaarena.com is your first and best source for all of the information you’re looking for. From general topics to more of what you would expect to find here, viaarena.com has it all. We hope you find what you are searching for!

Full message from Via employee:
                VIA?s position on supporting open source has not changed for years. VIA maintain and support both UniChrome and Chrome9 HC IGP display drivers. Each Linux driver branch binary package supports specific chips and distributions. The trunk source code that we release covers these branch binary packages all together. For example, the Linux driver source code v71 package will cover the v70 driver binary code. The v71 driver source code will be released on 11/17.
                Well I have some doubts about that. First of all Via have history of strange licensing habits. Second why only action against them make release of source code possible (release date 11/17 so for now it's hard to tell if it's true and if they release full source code). And many more.
                RBEU #1000000000 - Registered Bad English User

Comment

Working...
                X