Looking for GTS250 with working 2D mode

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for GTS250 with working 2D mode

I would like to purchase a NVIDIA GTS 250 card. The condition is: 2D mode working with proprietary drivers and 55nm chip. I don't play games too often and when I only browse the net, card should work on lowest clocks and voltage switched automatically. In the store they never know which card has this feature. Maybe someone having such card could tell me it's exact model name?

Originally posted by nobange View Post
    I would like to purchase a NVIDIA GTS 250 card. The condition is: 2D mode working with proprietary drivers and 55nm chip. I don't play games too often and when I only browse the net, card should work on lowest clocks and voltage switched automatically. In the store they never know which card has this feature. Maybe someone having such card could tell me it's exact model name?
    You would definitely be better off picking up a Radeon R7xx. The PM code isn't *quite* finished, but will be very soon, and all in OPEN SOURCE driver, so no need to depend on that nvidia proprietary junk that rarely works.

Comment

And you are the one that owns NV + ATI cards, correct? GTS 250 is basically an old chip, G92 based, first name was 8800 GTS 512 which i own. I currently would not buy it as it is a bit too slow for full hd games.

Comment

If you are into NVidia, then you may want to consider a GT240, which has a good ratio of idle power draw vs. performance.

However, the GT240 is more expensive than other similarly perfoming cards.

Comment

Originally posted by droidhacker View Post
          You would definitely be better off picking up a Radeon R7xx. The PM code isn't *quite* finished, but will be very soon, and all in OPEN SOURCE driver, so no need to depend on that nvidia proprietary junk that rarely works.
          But performance in games, specially with Wine, counts too. I doubt if any Radeon card with OS drivers currently can be compared to NVIDIA in 3D. For now I decided to buy an 9800GT Green card. It has the 2D feature and enough performance to play all games I have installed. GT240 with it's 40 nm chip is interesting, but too expensive and... 128-bit memory these days? No thanks.

Comment

GT240 comes in GDDR5 variants, which has double the bandwidth of the 9800GT's GDDR3. So memory bandwidth is the same in both cards (128 bit GDDR5 = 256 bit GDDR3).

"Green edition" just means that the maximum power of the card under load has been reduced by lowering voltage and clock frequencies.

Comment

Working...
            X