Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ubuntu Edge Is Up To $9 Million USD In Funding

Phoronix: Ubuntu Edge Is Up To $9 Million USD In Funding

There's been a slight boost in the crowd-funded Ubuntu Edge smart-phone / converged device project with now being up to $9.175 million dollars in funding...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I dont get it first they try to alienate community now they want community to fund their projects. What in devils name is going on in Canonical?

Comment

Originally posted by Ramiliez View Post
      I dont get it first they try to alienate community now they want community to fund their projects. What in devils name is going on in Canonical?
      +1! #signed

Comment

Mark already said he wasn't going to put any of his/Canonical money to fill the gap, so most likely this isn't going to happen.

Comment

unless Mark Shuttleworth has some more tricks in his bag or ends up pledging the remainder of the funds himself
          - if he would pledge the rest I am not sure how people would feel about it, on one side it would show people he is 100% behind the project, on the other side it would show mobile carriers there is to little interest from the masses/real world .

, but at least they're enjoying the added mainstream media attention.
          - probably, but how big will the backlash be when it fails, showing there is no intrest for this phone from the masses/real world ?

if they won't make it I don't think they can spin this in any positive way towards mobile carriers or the masses. Maybe they wanted it to fail to have an excuses to bin the project and that's why they set the high 30mil bar ? dunno

Comment

Manufacturers

I hope phone manufacturers are watching and hearing about Ubuntu Edge.

So even if it fails, the other companies listen to the demands.

I hope phone manufacturers maybe consider a phone with Ubuntu, or dual-boot phone with Android and Ubuntu, or Android and Chrome OS. I hope manufacturers make so you can dock the phone to the computer and use keyboard, mouse, and external display.

Imagine Bluetooth keyboard and Bluetooth mouse with wireless Wi-Di/WHDI/Miracast display.
            Or a docking station to plug-in USB keyboard and USB mouse and HDMI/DVI/DisplayPort monitor.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
              I hope phone manufacturers are watching and hearing about Ubuntu Edge.

So even if it fails, the other companies listen to the demands.

I hope phone manufacturers maybe consider a phone with Ubuntu, or dual-boot phone with Android and Ubuntu, or Android and Chrome OS. I hope manufacturers make so you can dock the phone to the computer and use keyboard, mouse, and external display.

Imagine Bluetooth keyboard and Bluetooth mouse with wireless Wi-Di/WHDI/Miracast display.
              Or a docking station to plug-in USB keyboard and USB mouse and HDMI/DVI/DisplayPort monitor.
              forget that i want a Debian Phone running a X86 intel chip

Comment

I just can't say clear enough how hard I want this stupid initiative from Canonical to fail. It has one, and only one, purpose, to stagnate FLOSS.

Comment

Originally posted by LinuxGamer View Post
                  forget that i want a Debian Phone running a X86 intel chip
                  More x86 phones are probably on the way.
                  Intel is making their new Atom processor on the Silvermont architecture.

Originally posted by CrvenaZvezda View Post
                  I just can't say clear enough how hard I want this stupid initiative from Canonical to fail. It has one, and only one, purpose, to stagnate FLOSS.
                  What makes you say that its purpose is to make FLOSS stagnate?

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
                    What makes you say that its purpose is to make FLOSS stagnate?
                    When FOSS fans expend their money on Ubuntu Edge what will be left for other much more open projects?

Comment

Working...
                    X