Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mir 1.0 Still Planned For Ubuntu 17.10, Wayland Support Focus

Phoronix: Mir 1.0 Still Planned For Ubuntu 17.10, Wayland Support Focus

Following our reporting of Mir picking up initial support for Wayland clients, Mir developer Alan Griffiths at Canonical has further clarified the Wayland client support. It also appears they are still planning to get Mir 1.0 released in time for Ubuntu 17.10...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Can anyone explain me, why Mir is needed for IoT? I just don't get it.

Comment

I'll give you a hint Stello. Mir/Wayland/Xorg are examples of display drivers. They make a computer screen/output device show the user interface. Here's a critical thinking question. Based on above, why do you think IoT might want a display driver? Please answer in 3 to 5 lines. I expect your report by 5pm today young man.

Comment

Originally posted by dh04000 View Post
        I'll give you a hint Stello. Mir/Wayland/Xorg are examples of display drivers. They make a computer screen/output device show the user interface. Here's a critical thinking question. Based on above, why do you think IoT might want a display driver? Please answer in 3 to 5 lines. I expect your report by 5pm today young man.
        Canonical is using for desktop, server and IoT always ONE implementation. Gnome already supports Wayland. Why does Canonical need another Wayland implementation?

Comment

Originally posted by Steffo View Post

Canonical is using for desktop, server and IoT always ONE implementation. Gnome already supports Wayland. Why does Canonical need another Wayland implementation?
          for old graphic snaps, they don't want to cut the devs after only 6 mouths

Comment

End up phasing out support for native Mir clients? So Mir's gonna become just another Wayland compositor?

Comment

Originally posted by PluMGMK View Post
              End up phasing out support for native Mir clients? So Mir's gonna become just another Wayland compositor?
              Pretty much. As I understand it, they're kind of re-positioning it as a generic compositor framework... so where Gnome and KDE have both built their own compositor from scratch (which is a lot of work), Mir could be used by those who want to build a desktop, but don't want to write an entire compositor from scratch. So hypothetically, it could be used by something like XFCE - rather than providing their own Wayland implementation, they build on top of Mir, which would cover the low-level stuff.

At least, that's the impression I've been getting from their statements, but I could be misinterpreting them...

Comment

Originally posted by Steffo View Post
                Because IoT does not have the power to run GNOME just to render a touch screen with a bunch of buttons, probably.

Comment

Originally posted by Delgarde View Post
                  As I understand it, they're kind of re-positioning it as a generic compositor framework... so where Gnome and KDE have both built their own compositor from scratch (which is a lot of work), Mir could be used by those who want to build a desktop, but don't want to write an entire compositor from scratch. So hypothetically, it could be used by something like XFCE - rather than providing their own Wayland implementation, they build on top of Mir, which would cover the low-level stuff.
                  But, AFAIK, that's the idea behind libweston...

Comment

Ability to combine collaboration and vendor lock-in? My, these guys truly have done the homework given by their partner Microsoft

Comment

Working...
                    X