Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Replicant 6.0 Free Software Android Updated To Support 12 Devices

Phoronix: Replicant 6.0 Free Software Android Updated To Support 12 Devices

While 8.0 Oreo is the latest version of Google's Android operating system for mobile devices, the free software minded Replicant OS that derives itself from the Android Open-Source Project code-base has re-released their version 6.0...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Whats USSD?

Comment

Originally posted by FireBurn View Post
      Whats USSD?
      Unstructured Supplementary Service Data (USSD), sometimes referred to as "Quick Codes" or "Feature codes", is a protocol used by GSM cellular telephones to communicate with the service provider's computers

Comment

Props to these guys, but it looks like an uphill battle...

Comment

Damn shame that this can only support old devices. I do wonder if it's due to lack of resources, or intrinsic unfreedom of newer hardware. Something tells me it's the latter, which upsets me a lot when I think about it.
          Can't forget that old hardware is unreliable too. A year ago I broke out my old Samsung Galaxy SII, installed Replicant on it and was very happy… for about eight weeks, then the damn GSM radio failed.

Comment

Newer phones tend to have 'all-in-one' chipsets where modem(s) are not physically separated. They also dislike Qualcomms for security reasons. So they are stuck using old phones with mostly Exynos cookies inside.

for example Galaxy S3 has phone modem on separate electrical circuit and physically separated from the SoC , which is Exynos. S3 LTE version has wholly integrated Qualcomm 'guts' and is not supported by them. They evaluate the phones first by taking a look on spec sheets, then take a look at phone's PCB and make their conclusions from there.

I used S3 for a long time because the Replicant..
            Last edited by aht0; 19 September 2017, 02:36 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by PluMGMK View Post
              Damn shame that this can only support old devices. I do wonder if it's due to lack of resources, or intrinsic unfreedom of newer hardware. Something tells me it's the latter, which upsets me a lot when I think about it.
              Can't forget that old hardware is unreliable too. A year ago I broke out my old Samsung Galaxy SII, installed Replicant on it and was very happy… for about eight weeks, then the damn GSM radio failed.
              Even with those old phones, half the functionality isn't supported (WiFi, Bluetooth, GPS, HW en/de-coding, Camera). You need to use USB WiFi adapter to use WiFi on it!!

Everything on mobile is so closed from the beginning .. This is why we need something like Librem 5 to flip the table a little bit.

Comment

Librem won't help you, because they face the same issues with modern hardware. Firmware blobs galore on baseband, wifi, bluetooth, etc. Maybe they can achieve an open source camera driver.

Comment

Originally posted by chithanh View Post
                  Librem won't help you, because they face the same issues with modern hardware. Firmware blobs galore on baseband, wifi, bluetooth, etc. Maybe they can achieve an open source camera driver.
                  I know. That's why I said a little bit because they have taken a different approach to do that as they did with thier laptops. They don't chase already manufactured devices to support open source, they make it by themselves which gives them access to NDA'ed docs help them develop such low level drivers.

Comment

Originally posted by aht0 View Post
                    Newer phones tend to have 'all-in-one' chipsets where modem(s) are not physically separated. They also dislike Qualcomms for security reasons. So they are stuck using old phones with mostly Exynos cookies inside.

for example Galaxy S3 has phone modem on separate electrical circuit and physically separated from the SoC , which is Exynos. S3 LTE version has wholly integrated Qualcomm 'guts' and is not supported by them. They evaluate the phones first by taking a look on spec sheets, then take a look at phone's PCB and make their conclusions from there.

I used S3 for a long time because the Replicant..
                    What about promoting the development of Open Hardware smartphones? What about designing a modem based on FPGA and such?

Replicant seems interesting, but lagging behind upstream is making them irrelevant. They should collaborate with LineageOS.

Comment

Working...
                    X