Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux 4.14 Gets A Driver For PWM-Controlled Vibrators

Phoronix: Linux 4.14 Gets A Driver For PWM-Controlled Vibrators

Dmitry Torokhov has sent in a second helping of input updates for the Linux 4.14 merge window that is closing this weekend...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

A step towards mobile device usage (most smartphones have a vibrator for when they are silenced).

Also: inb4 a truck of bad jokes.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
      Dirty mind.

Comment

A potential impact on the Internet of Things cannot be overemphasized.

Comment

I honestly did expect the dirty interpretation... but then my memory seems fixated on the idea that "vibrator" cannot possibly be the proper jargon for those little motors because it's already taken for the composite product, thus always indexing them under "vibration motor" or some other similar thing. (similar to how I never use CPU to refer to the "case + contents" portion of a computer.It contains a CPU and the product and its component must not share a label in my mind.)

Also, perhaps more relevant, someone did recently link me to a post about a discovered security vulnerability in a WiFi-connected dildo/endoscope camera combo device... so I'm willing to believe that just about any stupid sex-related gizmo exists.
          Last edited by ssokolow; 16 September 2017, 08:28 PM. Reason: Fix hyperlink markup error

Comment

First thought: The f*ck?

Second thought: Well it is open source so it's not like there isn't support for all kinds of oddball stuff already

Third thought: Oh, so that's what they meant with "vibrator" and I have a feeling that I wasn't the only one

I hope I'm not the only one who went trough something like that when reading the headline and then the article.

Comment

I see Wi-Fi enabled smart vibrators with wireless charging and inbuilt camera.

Comment

Originally posted by ssokolow View Post
                Also, perhaps more relevant, someone did recently link me to a post about a discovered https://www.pentestpartners.com/security-blog/vulnerable-wi-fi-dildo-camera-endoscope-yes-really/]security vulnerability in a WiFi-connected dildo/endoscope camera combo device... so I'm willing to believe that just about any stupid sex-related gizmo exists.
                Haha, great read.

a funny excerpt from the hacking:

“How else can you set up a Network File Share other than by sending unsanitised parameters directly to the UNIX ‘mount’ command?”, I thought.

A few minutes later, I found a command injection point, with all stdout and stderr output getting sent to the UART stream on my other laptop.

Embedded crap.... Embedded crap never changes.

Comment

Ha, coward!

... the female Linux community is excited.

Comment

Suddenly, I sense an uptick in the number of female Linux kernel contributors.

Comment

Working...
                    X