David Airlie Is Bringing OpenGL 4.2 To More R600 Gallium3D Hardware

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• David Airlie Is Bringing OpenGL 4.2 To More R600 Gallium3D Hardware

Phoronix: David Airlie Is Bringing OpenGL 4.2 To More R600 Gallium3D Hardware

David Airlie is breathing some new open-source life into older Radeon GPUs with his "R600g-Rats" branch where he's bringing OpenGL 4.2 and other features to this older driver...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Good news for me with my 5770 I'm curious if it is taking a similar approach to the one started with libSoftFloat https://github.com/Hopetech/libSoftFloat . I remember there being an article of that author submitting his work-in-progress to the mesa list.... But a cursory web perusal of the airlied repo suggests 'no' to me but I'm still not certain.

Comment

It's nice to see they still care about r600.

Comment

That is the epitome of dedication. Good job, Mr Airlie!

Comment

Cool! I still have some hardware with HD 6000/5000 GPUs that I want to experiment with.

Comment

So nice to see things like this! Thanks to the fact the driver is open, Intel and AMD supports more OpenGL stuff under Linux than under Windows.

Comment

Originally posted by andrebrait View Post
              So nice to see things like this! Thanks to the fact the driver is open, Intel and AMD supports more OpenGL stuff under Linux than under Windows.
              6k series (all) has OGL 4.5 with both windows drivers and fglrx. Everything that has no hardware support is implemented in software.

Comment

It's nice, but what is the max achievable OpenGL 4.x version for r600?

Comment

Great news for me as well with a HD 6000 series card!

Originally posted by boffo View Post
                  On the official AMD website it says that for the lowest-end card HD 6450 it'd be OpenGL 4.1?
                  On Wikipedia however the series is labeled with OpenGL 4.4 for all cards of the series, so I believe the first one is outdatedā€¦

Cheers

Comment

Better ever than ever... my watch says it is near 6 o'clock

OpenGL 4.2 - Release date: August 8, 2011
                    Originally posted by boffo View Post
                    I guess 4.4 on selected hardware But as article mentioned even this is with wip/rats/hacks
                    Last edited by dungeon; 24 May 2017, 11:39 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X