Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Freedreno Gallium3D Enables NIR By Default

Phoronix: Freedreno Gallium3D Enables NIR By Default

Freedreno Gallium3D as the open-source, reverse-engineered driver for Qualcomm Adreno graphics hardware has switched to using NIR by default...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I don't mean to be a ahole post, but if you don't want people to have a single F'ing clue what you are talking about, print a title like that.

Comment

Originally posted by ThoreauHD View Post
      I don't mean to be a ahole post, but if you don't want people to have a single F'ing clue what you are talking about, print a title like that.
      I think a lot of people here understand both the subject and the post. NIR is the New Intermediate Representation proposed by Connor Abbott to help the optimization of compiled shaders in Mesa (see https://www.x.org/wiki/Events/XDC2014/XDC2014AbbotNIR/ for further information). Freedreno is the open source driver for the Adreno GPU, found on Qualcomm ARM CPUs. Up to now, NIR support in Freedreno was supposed to be OK (thanks Rob for your hard work!) but the driver still defaulted to GLSL IR.

So : the news states that the driver finally defaults to NIR on compilation - which is both significant and A Good Thing, because we're now one step closer to the deprecation of GLSL IR which is known to cause a few issues.

Simple, don't you think?

Comment

Working...
      X