Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Debian GNU/Linux 8.8 Released

Phoronix: Debian GNU/Linux 8.8 Released

While waiting for the upcoming Debian 9.0 "Stretch" release, Debian 8.8 has shipped this weekend as the latest stable update...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I guess 8.8 is Goo, as 8.8.8.8 is Google or in arabian way of reading it is gle

Still don't get updates from proposal, probably usual 4 times per day lag.

edit: yup, updates are there now
    Last edited by dungeon; 06 May 2017, 08:17 PM.

Comment

How sweet! A new bundle of outdated software.
      Debian + server = yes.
      Debian + workstation = if I have to compile soft by myself then gentoo is way better.
      Maybe it's time to start using AppImages or flatpaks with debian. Black Panther does great stuff with its AppImage integration.

Comment

Originally posted by DebianXFCE Jr View Post
        How sweet! A new bundle of outdated software.
        Older releases are more well-tested, which, for some use cases, is more important than new features. Fortunately this is Linux and you're not forced to use a specific distro

Comment

Testing is a quasi rolling release. It gets pretty stale after a freeze.

Comment

50 package updates doesn't mean anything. The freeze is on features. There is nothing preventing a flood of bug fixes.

Comment

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
              Debian GNU/Linux
              Let's start the Stallman controversy again!

Comment

Originally posted by debianxfce View Post

It does mean, if you use the stretch repository, only release critical bugs fix are allowed and not much to update, while testing gets packages from unstable as usual.
                That doesn't even make sense. The testing repository is the stretch repository until stretch is released.

Comment

Originally posted by randomizer View Post

That doesn't even make sense. The testing repository is the stretch repository until stretch is released.
                  This is precisely why I disagree with naming releases in any further terms than testing, stable, oldstable. People will just get the names wrong. The releases are numbered anyway and imo it's clearer to say eg "I'm waiting impatiently for Debian 9 to be released and am a bit disappointed resources were used to make 8.8 at this point".

Comment

I heard Debian finally got their kernel updated to version 2.2 and has Firefox 4.0. Amazing!

Comment

Working...
                    X