Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wayland 1.13 Released

Phoronix: Wayland 1.13 Released

Wayland 1.13 is now available thanks to release management by Samsung OSG's Bryce Harrington...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

just noticed the Wayland 1.14 Schedule, wonder if Fedora26 will Target that?

Comment

So for an old X user is Wayland and company there yet. That is can one expect the same stability and performance?

Comment

Originally posted by wizard69 View Post
        So for an old X user is Wayland and company there yet. That is can one expect the same stability and performance?
        stable? i dont even think X was stable?

Comment

Wayland doesn't work the same way as XOrg, i.e. it depends on the Wayland implementation, rather than XOrg which only has one server implementation (or at least at the moment until libweston is more widely adopted). GNOME works pretty well with Wayland, and obviously so does Weston. Most bugs have been fixed in the latest GNOME/GTK 3.22 stable point releases IMHO. I can't speak for anything else though (e.g. KDE, Enlightenment, etc.).

I've noticed a few bugs with XWayland in one or two games, but I have not personally extensively tested XWayland besides internet browsing. For Chrome/Chromium, I see no difference aside from missing "suspend screensaver" functionality that exists using it in XOrg.

Wayland Performance and stability seem equivalent, but I find some of the small missing functionality can cause some usability "papercuts" (such as the screensaver issue described above). I would think this is the main gripe about Wayland, not stability or performance.
          Last edited by Mystro256; 22 February 2017, 12:08 PM.

Comment

My regrests:
            *GNS3 (which is QT-based) doesn't work well in XWayland
            *Gnome3 over Wayland lacks of desktop icons

Comment

Originally posted by q2dg View Post
              My regrests:
              *GNS3 (which is QT-based) doesn't work well in XWayland
              The latter was fixed and is in the current stable release. Ask your distribution if you don't have it.

Comment

I use GNOME/Wayland on both my desktop and laptop (one is Arch, the latter is OpenSUSE Tumbleweed). Everything works fine for me including gaming with Steam. Certain games like Bastion have weird mouse issues with Xwayland but it seems pretty rare nowadays.

Having said that, it DOES depend on the implementation of Wayland in the specific window manager. For example, Sway (Wayland tiling WM based on i3wm) doesn't fully implement the features to lock the mouse to the window, as I understand it (pointer constraints?) so if I try playing games in Sway, there's mouse issues in most games.

In GNOME, however, the implementation is complete enough at the moment that most games and apps work fine and behave normally.

I should add the one single greatest thing for me about Wayland - NO SCREEN TEARING!! Always hated that with X. I can watch fullscreen YouTube nowadays perfectly smoothly :')

Originally posted by q2dg View Post
                Works fine for me when I turn on desktop icons in GNOME Tweak Tool.

Comment

Originally posted by ElderSnake View Post

I use GNOME/Wayland on both my desktop and laptop (one is Arch, the latter is OpenSUSE Tumbleweed). Everything works fine for me including gaming with Steam. Certain games like Bastion have weird mouse issues with Xwayland but it seems pretty rare nowadays.

Having said that, it DOES depend on the implementation of Wayland in the specific window manager. For example, Sway (Wayland tiling WM based on i3wm) doesn't fully implement the features to lock the mouse to the window, as I understand it (pointer constraints?) so if I try playing games in Sway, there's mouse issues in most games.

In GNOME, however, the implementation is complete enough at the moment that most games and apps work fine and behave normally.

I should add the one single greatest thing for me about Wayland - NO SCREEN TEARING!! Always hated that with X. I can watch fullscreen YouTube nowadays perfectly smoothly :')

Works fine for me when I turn on desktop icons in GNOME Tweak Tool.
                  Still on X and using the amdgpu driver option "TearFree", which seems to work wonders for me personally in that regard. Any reason why I may want to avoid using this particular option performance wise?

Comment

Someone else tried Dota2 on (X)Wayland?
                    Recently, I tried Dota2 on (X)Wayland it was really sluggish.
                    Last edited by theghost; 22 February 2017, 08:08 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X