Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GNOME Maps 3.24 To Support Transit Routing

Phoronix: GNOME Maps 3.24 To Support Transit Routing

GNOME Maps has become a much more viable piece of software with transit routing support having landed in Git master...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I love that Gnome after removing all functionality from all sort of components of Gnome sending the Linux desktop ecosystem back to the 90's decide that they have an itch to code and of all things that people may need they come with a mapping application.

Great.

Comment

Originally posted by JPFSanders View Post
      I love that Gnome after removing all functionality from all sort of components of Gnome sending the Linux desktop ecosystem back to the 90's decide that they have an itch to code and of all things that people may need they come with a mapping application.

Great.
      I'm not sure why you're complaining; if you don't like the direction that GNOME is taking, there are plenty of alternatives, including MATE which continued where GNOME 2 left off, or cinnamon which basically took gnome and added back this "removed functionality"...

Or you know, use any other desktop out there. Last time I checked, GNOME does not run the Linux desktop ecosystem and never has.

Comment

Originally posted by JPFSanders View Post

Great.
        And what do you provide, other than a snide comment? You most likely aren't using the Gnome stack anyway so why does it matter to you?

Comment

Haters will always hate.

Comment

like people haven't yet developed the habit to lookup maps on their smartphones.

Comment

Any feature addition to the FOSS ecosystem is a good thing.

On the same same register, any loss of functionality is a bad thing (usually due to DRM, proprietary drivers, bios fuckery...).
              Gnome did fuck up with the 3.0 release but has since gained ground. The 4.0 release should also make things better.

Maps might seem like a non-important addition, but you never know what future holds and what functionality might be restricted by proprietary software in the future.
              So we must have a full-stack FOSS implementation of anything people use their computers for.

Comment

Google Maps have much better colors than OpenStreetMap.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
                  Mapbox, which GNOME Maps is using, has very similar colors to Google Maps. I like Mapnik's default (OSM.org website) better though, I want details.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
                    True, but OpenStreetMap does have other advantages, for example, being able to show every address on the map (at least here in the Netherlands).

Comment

Working...
                    X