Civilization VI On Linux With RadeonSI Should Be Fine With Newer Mesa

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Civilization VI On Linux With RadeonSI Should Be Fine With Newer Mesa

Phoronix: Civilization VI On Linux With RadeonSI Should Be Fine With Newer Mesa

When Aspyr Media announced yesterday that Civilization VI is shipping for Linux this week it was confirmed that only NVIDIA graphics are supported by this latest AAA Linux game release. But they later clarified that AMD "works", but with issues. But it doesn't sound too bad...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

sounds like Aspyr just did not test with amd hardware. If they have, why do they shoot their own foot? Just tell us what works, what not, what was tested, what not and everybody is happy. They should know how to communicate techical stuff with the pc community.
    This reminds me of all the feral-no-amd-support desasters some months ago. Apparently Feral learned how to communicate better now and even supports AMD now and then. What baffles me is that Aspyr did support AMD with older games. So they regressed to a Feral-a-year-ago-state...
    Last edited by tomtomme; 07 February 2017, 11:50 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by tomtomme View Post
      sounds like Aspyr just did not test with amd hardware. If they have, why do they shoot their own foot? Just tell us what works, what not, what was tested, what not and everybody is happy. They should know how to communicate techical stuff with the pc community.
      This reminds me of all the feral-no-amd-support desasters some months ago. Apparently Feral learned how to communicate better now and even supports AMD now and then. What baffles me is that Aspyr did support AMD with older games. So they regressed to a Feral-a-year-ago-state...
      Or maybe they do test it, but, whatever distro they target has an older version of the stack?

Comment

Originally posted by bakgwailo View Post
        Or maybe they do test it, but, whatever distro they target has an older version of the stack?
        This is just speculation just as tomtomme comment. Aspyr shoots themselves in the foot if they are not mentioning HOW they managed to get support working, I mean a documentation of this wouldn't be the worst (which makes it optional). What I mean is, there HAS to be a reason why AMD drivers does not work so why not mention those reasons besides saying "NOPE IT DOESN'T WORK AT IT'S CURRENT STATE!". And if the reasons are mentioned to the public, the people at MESA could know what to improve for the Game/Application to run at maximum capacity, assuming this might be the case.

Comment

Originally posted by tomtomme View Post
          If they say that it has issues then it sounds like they have tested it!? There's probably bugfixes needed that are not available in any released version of Mesa yet. They could bump the requirements when such a version is released. They can't really recommend a git snapshot...

And how do you know they haven't talked to AMD? Just not in public.

Comment

Issues are good, as issues can be fixed. Look at what Deus Ex did to RadeonSI. Just keep them coming, devs, OSS drivers may end up being good drivers.

Comment

Originally posted by bakgwailo View Post

I'm willing to bet that this is the case. I'm assuming they don't want to divert development resources away to do more extensive testing, and it would be wise to avoiding saying too much if the testing was superficial or brief. Likely done with the latest Ubuntu LTS, which I believe is mesa 12.

Comment

Originally posted by Mystro256 View Post

I'm willing to bet that this is the case. I'm assuming they don't want to divert development resources away to do more extensive testing, and it would be wise to avoiding saying too much if the testing was superficial or brief. Likely done with the latest Ubuntu LTS, which I believe is mesa 12.
                If so, it would be pretty stupid. They should test with latest release of Mesa, and with latest Mesa master. And if something still doesn't work - report bugs to Mesa. That's a responsible thing to do. Testing on outdated Mesa, not reporting bugs and then saying "it's not supported" isn't responsible at all.

Comment

it was confirmed that only NVIDIA graphics are supported by this latest AAA Linux game release
                  Does this mean it works with nouveau ?

Comment

Originally posted by Pranos View Post
                    Does this mean it works with nouveau ?
                    No, in the context of Linux gaming:

NVIDIA == NVIDIA proprietary driver
                    Nouveau == Nouveau Gallium3D driver

If the game manages to work with Mesa, it will likely be painfully slow with Nouveau due to re-clocking issues/lack-of with the newer cards that would be needed to run the game in the first place.
                    Michael Larabel
                    https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Working...
                    X