AMDGPU Changes Queued For Linux 4.11: Power/TTM Changes, No DC/DAL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMDGPU Changes Queued For Linux 4.11: Power/TTM Changes, No DC/DAL

Phoronix: AMDGPU Changes Queued For Linux 4.11: Power/TTM Changes, No DC/DAL

Alex Deucher of AMD sent in the Radeon/AMDGPU DRM driver changes today to DRM-Next for then merging into the Linux 4.11 kernel a few weeks down the road...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

This is extra nice because it contains https://lists.freedesktop.org/archiv...ad.html#129714
    "amdgpu: fix performance drop". Not sure when this regression was introduced though...

Comment

Originally posted by ernstp View Post
      This is extra nice because it contains https://lists.freedesktop.org/archiv...ad.html#129714
      "amdgpu: fix performance drop". Not sure when this regression was introduced though...
      The performance drop only affected certain compute workloads, not graphics.

Comment

there is a rumour of vega release in the end of may, so 4.12 could be out

Comment

I think they are going to prioritize Vega over DAL, which makes me sad. It makes business sense though as I'm sure making compute work for the Vega based professional gear is where the real money is.

Comment

It's not really a "this vs that" - Vega only has DAL display code, no non-DAL path.
            Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
              It's not really a "this vs that" - Vega only has DAL display code, no non-DAL path.
              So you decided to risk everything on mainline inclusion for kernel 4.12? What if the drm maintainer decides DAL is still not good enough to be included? Are you trying to push DAL with the Sword of Damocles of "if you don't merge it there will be no foss support for Vega, muahahah"?
              I don't know about any private conversation about merging, but from what is public it was clearly a *not going to happen*, immediately followed by AMD PRs saying "awesome, they told us 'yes, but not in its current state' so the next merge window will be the right one!". Fucking no, be realistic or just tell us what's really going on because I don't like it for sure.
              ## VGA ##
              AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
              Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

Originally posted by darkbasic View Post

So you decided to risk everything on mainline inclusion for kernel 4.12? What if the drm maintainer decides DAL is still not good enough to be included? Are you trying to push DAL with the Sword of Damocles of "if you don't merge it there will be no foss support for Vega, muahahah"?
                I don't know about any private conversation about merging, but from what is public it was clearly a *not going to happen*, immediately followed by AMD PRs saying "awesome, they told us 'yes, but not in its current state' so the next merge window will be the right one!". Fucking no, be realistic or just tell us what's really going on because I don't like it for sure.
                The people want to know what's happening, I agree.

The change of the DC/DAL situation ant Tier1 hardware support on Linux would make me consider AMD hardware in the future. For now I have Intel, but I want to buy at least a powerful desktop computer this year and having FOSS drivers is a big plus if they're really powerful as nearly Nvdia ones.

Using that stuff is experimental, we want support in vanilla kernels. There's no excuse, not much sane people is going to install experimental or wip stuff

Comment

I guess Vega will go the RADV way, except it'll be easier - because DAL is open source, and AMDGPU-PRO Vulkan is not.

Comment

Even 4.12 is probably too late for the spring distros, although we might catch Fedora 26, so practically speaking Vega support is going to be out-of-tree from a distro perspective, probably deployed via DKMS for the kernel. No threats - I know it's fun to paint everything as being like reality TV but that's not how things really work.

I have absolutely no idea what you are talking about re: what you think "AMD PRs" said. I don't believe I have ever seen/heard anyone say anything like that, particularly the "next merge window will be the right one" part. Can you point me to those statements please ?
                    Test signature

Comment

Working...
                    X