Intel Iris Pro OpenGL vs. Vulkan Benchmarks With Linux 4.9, Mesa 13.1-dev

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel Iris Pro OpenGL vs. Vulkan Benchmarks With Linux 4.9, Mesa 13.1-dev

Phoronix: Intel Iris Pro OpenGL vs. Vulkan Benchmarks With Linux 4.9, Mesa 13.1-dev

It's been a while since publishing any fresh Intel Core i7 5775C benchmarks, the socketed Broadwell CPU with Iris Pro 6200 graphics, since normally it's busy in the daily benchmarking churn of the server room for Phoronix Test Suite / OpenBenchmarking.org / LinuxBenchmarking.com efforts. But with having been doing some maintenance on that system this week and loading a clean install of Ubuntu 16.10, I did some fresh benchmarks of the Iris Pro 6200 graphics using Mesa 13.1-dev and Linux 4.9, including a look at the OpenGL vs. Vulkan performance for the Iris Pro graphics.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I was about to ask for a test with this model. I never understood why Intel did not launch a i3 with this GPU, since the i5 and i7 are too expensive to buy just to put in a HTPC. A i3 with the Iris Pro would smash AMD's best APUs.

Comment

Why would you need something like Iris or AMD's best APUs in HTPC? (Besides Hi10P.) Even 6 years old AMD E-350 can handle 1080p 60 fps with UVD.

Comment

Originally posted by M@GOid View Post
        I was about to ask for a test with this model. I never understood why Intel did not launch a i3 with this GPU, since the i5 and i7 are too expensive to buy just to put in a HTPC. A i3 with the Iris Pro would smash AMD's best APUs.
        I agree that Intel should have put Iris Pro in the i3s, but keep in mind that Intel scales down their GPUs for each lower tier. In other words, i5s have slower GPUs than i7s. That being said, it takes the GPU of an i7 Skylake (a $365 part) to outperform the GPU of some A10 models that are worth less than half the price.

If Intel put the i7 GPU in an i3, then yes, you would have a valid point and Intel would have an amazing product (assuming the price wasn't a whole lot different). But, whatever GPU that resembles Iris Pro that they'd put in an i3 will be watered down.

Comment

Originally posted by M@GOid View Post
          I think intel has aimed these squarely at Apple which doesn't have a problem paying for high-margin products. But that's just my guess.
          As far as APUs go, the only thing possible on AMDs APU that's not possible on intel is esports. Hardly a segment to worry about.

Comment

Working...
          X