Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Calligra 3.0 Is Ready As A Qt5 / KDE Frameworks 5 Office Suite

Phoronix: Calligra 3.0 Is Ready As A Qt5 / KDE Frameworks 5 Office Suite

It's been quite a while since last having anything to report on the KDE Calligra open-source graphics/office suite while surprisingly this morning it was pleasant to see Calligra 3.0 tagged for release...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

That's great news, I feel Calligra has been a neglected stepchild since Krita was split out into its own product

I'm hoping they finally made Words look more like a word processor and less like a painting app

Comment

The anzwix link back to kde git is broken.

anzwix link :

Working git webui:

It might have to do with quickgit redirecting to cgit...

I really like Calligra words; IMO out of existing word processors it has the only sensible UI...

Comment

Originally posted by Serafean View Post
        I really like Calligra words; IMO out of existing word processors it has the only sensible UI...
        You might like it, but for anyone switching from another word processor it just seems arse over elbow

Comment

Originally posted by FireBurn View Post
          That's great news, I feel Calligra has been a neglected stepchild since Krita was split out into its own product

I'm hoping they finally made Words look more like a word processor and less like a painting app
          Words in particular has been neglected since the split of koffice and calligra, since it was the kword maintainer that stayed with koffice.

Comment

The market for these suites is shrinking fast. Between Google's Docs that cover the basics for most users and Microsoft's Office which is now available online (thus usable from Linux), the space for hobby projects is just not there any more.
            (And yes, I know you can't use Google's Docs for DTP.)

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
              The market for these suites is shrinking fast. Between Google's Docs that cover the basics for most users and Microsoft's Office which is now available online (thus usable from Linux), the space for hobby projects is just not there any more.
              (And yes, I know you can't use Google's Docs for DTP.)
              Nonsense, the market is pretty much the same as it ever was, Google Docs has been around for about a decade and never made serious in-roads, the Local Microsoft Office suite continues to be the dominant office suite, and LibreOffice continues to be it's only heavyweight competitor. Calligra basically has the problem that it lacks enough marketshare to have a serious development force behind it to really attempt to compete with LibreOffice, As to Microsoft Office in the Cloud, I haven't paid close attention but doesn't seem to have effected LibreOffice much at all to me.

Comment

Actually, I'm surprised what the Calligra team has been able to do with so little manpower. kudos to them!

Comment

Originally posted by gufide View Post
                  Actually, I'm surprised what the Calligra team has been able to do with so little manpower. kudos to them!
                  Oh please don't think I'm bashing the effort they have put in - but there certainly has been a dip in development since the koffice -> calligra rebrand I'm guessing the Krita folk were carrying the other parts

Comment

So I've compiled Calligra 3, it works but again, having all the usual toolbars on the right rather than at the top where every other word processor has them is counter intuitive. I tried placing the side bar to the top, but it still takes up the same vertical space, now it just uses up the whole width of the window too

I hope their user interface folk take a look and hopefully offer the option of using some kind of standard layout

Comment

Working...
                    X