No announcement yet.

Fedora 25's Hybrid Graphics Improvements, To Support NVIDIA Wayland EGLStreams

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fedora 25's Hybrid Graphics Improvements, To Support NVIDIA Wayland EGLStreams

Phoronix: Fedora 25's Hybrid Graphics Improvements, To Support NVIDIA Wayland EGLStreams

When Fedora 25 ships in (hopefully) two weeks it will contain much better support for hybrid graphics / Optimus systems thanks to improvements led by Red Hat...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I wonder how they're going to enable Xwayland on NVIDIAs driver and still have legacy apps 3D accelerated. I never managed to get anything to that uses Xwayland to work on Weston with the NVIDIA driver. Running glxinfo or glxgear or chromium just crashes weston for me.

Comment

My Lenovo Thinkpad T540p (Haswell+Nvidia 7x0) gets "extremely" hot* under some games (games that don't look graphic intense like Shenzen I/O or the like).
      I don't think its a dusty fan and hope that things get more efficient and easier to configure for Optimus hardware.

(*) to the point where I either have to quit the program or take the notebook from my legs.

Comment

I like Fedora, but it's lacking in the optimus department. You can't have both cuda and Optimus with NVIDIA's drivers (you can, but you end up with two driver versions installed, mixed up). It's one of the reasons I run Arch, where I can easily have both.

Comment

Where are all the people that were saying EGLStreams in Wayland is not going to happen?

Comment

Originally posted by andrebrait View Post
            I like Fedora, but it's lacking in the optimus department. You can't have both cuda and Optimus with NVIDIA's drivers (you can, but you end up with two driver versions installed, mixed up). It's one of the reasons I run Arch, where I can easily have both.
            Would you elaborate the methodology to easily get both Cuda and Optimus then aside this possible outdated approach?

Comment

Originally posted by blackout23 View Post
              I wonder how they're going to enable Xwayland on NVIDIAs driver and still have legacy apps 3D accelerated. I never managed to get anything to that uses Xwayland to work on Weston with the NVIDIA driver. Running glxinfo or glxgear or chromium just crashes weston for me.
              How did you even manage to run Weston on NVidia's proprietary driver? AFAIK they didn't accept NVidia patches to run weston with EGLStreams.

Comment

Originally posted by entropy View Post
                My Lenovo Thinkpad T540p (Haswell+Nvidia 7x0) gets "extremely" hot* under some games (games that don't look graphic intense like Shenzen I/O or the like).
                I don't think its a dusty fan and hope that things get more efficient and easier to configure for Optimus hardware.

(*) to the point where I either have to quit the program or take the notebook from my legs.
                "extremly hot" for haswell is 100°C+ though

Comment

Originally posted by karolherbst View Post

"extremly hot" for haswell is 100°C+ though
                  Well, the "maximum operating temperature" for a random haswell CPU is 72.72℃. Anyway, I just wanted to say that, AFAIK, usually at 100℃ CPU shuts down itself.

Comment

Originally posted by finalzone View Post

Would you elaborate the methodology to easily get both Cuda and Optimus then aside this possible outdated approach?
                    On Fedora, you can't. No one packages both the NVIDIA driver and CUDA in a way that's usable with Optimus. I had commented with the owner of negativo17 on the possibility of packaging the NVIDIA drivers in a similar fashion as to what Arch does, but he didn't do it yet, AFAIK.

Comment

Working...
                    X