Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mesa Looks At Switching To Jemalloc For Faster Performance

Phoronix: Mesa Looks At Switching To Jemalloc For Faster Performance

Marek Olšák is looking at using the jemalloc memory allocator for faster GLSL compilation and ultimately could redirect all malloc/calloc/realloc/free calls in Mesa to using jemalloc...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

10% or up to 300% slowmo supertux 2 - that is the question

Neither use shaders, nor extensions - but still slowmo

Comment

Originally posted by dungeon View Post
      10% or up to 300% slowmo supertux 2 - that is the question

Neither use shaders, nor extensions - but still slowmo
      Oh great, phoronix has got another troll.

Comment

Originally posted by log0 View Post
        Oh great, phoronix has got another troll.
        I agree, trolls usually made unusable posts

Comment

Out of curiosity, does this increase the amount of dependencies for users (with or without compiling mesa themselves)? If pre-built mesa doesn't require jemalloc as a dependency, then I'd say this performance gain is pretty awesome - always nice being able to get a substantial performance increase without sacrificing much.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
            Out of curiosity, does this increase the amount of dependencies for users (with or without compiling mesa themselves)? If pre-built mesa doesn't require jemalloc as a dependency, then I'd say this performance gain is pretty awesome - always nice being able to get a substantial performance increase without sacrificing much.
            From the mailing list post:

"TODO: The jemalloc dependency should be added to configure.ac before this."

I'm assuming it'll need to be linked, thus another dependency, but I'm just guessing.
            Beyond that, if it's indeed used in a bunch of other projects such as Firefox, this is a non issue for most users.

Comment

Originally posted by Mystro256 View Post

From the mailing list post:

"TODO: The jemalloc dependency should be added to configure.ac before this."

I'm assuming it'll need to be linked, thus another dependency, but I'm just guessing.
              Beyond that, if it's indeed used in a bunch of other projects such as Firefox, this is a non issue for most users.
              Whoa. the horror, a 10KB dependency used by a bunch of software.

Comment

Did they test it with locklessmalloc, too? http://locklessinc.com/benchmarks_allocator.shtml

Comment

Originally posted by cj.wijtmans View Post

Whoa. the horror, a 10KB dependency used by a bunch of software.
                  Haha best response ever.

Comment

Originally posted by sdack View Post
                    Did they test it with locklessmalloc, too? http://locklessinc.com/benchmarks_allocator.shtml
                    Lockless 1.2 was released over 4 years ago; jemalloc maybe a better option due to its continued development and use in other applications (i.e. more testing).

Comment

Working...
                    X