Ubuntu Developers Discuss Again About Dropping Support For 32-bit x86

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ubuntu Developers Discuss Again About Dropping Support For 32-bit x86

Phoronix: Ubuntu Developers Discuss Again About Dropping Support For 32-bit x86

Ubuntu developers are once again pondering the possibility of dropping support for i386 (32-bit x86) as installation media for their Linux distribution...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    Legacy i386 applications would only be supported by snaps/containers/virtual machines.
    Does this mean Valve will actually be forced to port Steam to x64? Hahahahaha.

Comment

Originally posted by eydee View Post
      Does this mean Valve will actually be forced to port Steam to x64? Hahahahaha.
      Read again the sentence you quoted, there is an easier way than porting all games to 64bit for lulz.

Comment

Nobody will be forced to port anything, i386 multilib on amd64 systems will continue to exist according to the survey.
        Running i386 (multiarch) software on amd64 will continue to work and is not part of the current survey.
        Just no i386 installation media nor any other support going forward for 32-bit CPUs.

Comment

Looks like 16.04 will be the last Ubuntu OS for my 2.33 GHz Core Duo T2700. Hopefully Arch or Debian aren't planning on dropping support too. It's a perfectly good machine and they still sell laptops with slower CPUs and GPUs. Any laptop with same build quality and screen is going to cost me over $1K today.
          Last edited by slacka; 28 June 2016, 07:28 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by slacka View Post
            Looks like 16.04 will be the last Ubuntu OS for my 2.33 GHz Core Duo T2700. Hopefully Arch or Debian aren't planning on dropping support too. It's a perfectly good machine and they still sell laptops with slower CPUs and GPUs. Any laptop with same build quality and screen is going to cost me over $1K today.
            Run Archlinux, or OpenBSD, get additional benefits and longer term support.

Comment

You sure you can't upgrade the CPU to a 64bit part? What's that laptop model name?

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
                You sure you can't upgrade the CPU to a 64bit part? What's that laptop model name?
                x2, back then even many low end laptops (HP, Acer, etc) had socketed cpu's that are potentially user upgrade-able.

Red Hat, as one of the biggest Linux kernel contributors, no longer develops against IA32. As of RHEL version 7, only the AMD64 platform is supported. If Red Hat engineers are no longer maintaining or caring about 32 bit code, that means others have to pick up the slack. Likely this is why Debian wants to get out of this business, they don't have the resources to do this additional work.

Comment

Ubuntu should drop supports for monitors, as world goes VR

Comment

Hopefully Arch or Debian aren't planning on dropping support too.
                    There was some Arch talk about it recently. Don't keep your hopes up on long term Arch i686 availability - remember, Arch doesn't even support ARM in the main project, and the prospect of having one architecture and one ISO is very alluring.

Debian, though, will probably support x32 forever.

Comment

Working...
                    X