Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• .NET Core 1.0 Released

Phoronix: .NET Core 1.0 Released

Microsoft is today releasing the open-source .NET Core 1.0 milestone...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Well luckily most linux developers haven't show any interest in .NET, lets hope it stays like that at least for opensource software, i do expect some closed software to try it tho but i expect it won't be much of a success outside maybe Redhat.

Comment

$ sudo mkdir -p /opt/dotnet && sudo tar zxf dotnet.tar.gz -C /opt/dotnet
      $ sudo ln -s /opt/dotnet/dotnet /usr/local/bin
      $ dotnet --help
      Failed to initialize CoreCLR, HRESULT: 0x80131500

$ mkdir hwapp
      $ cd hwapp
      $ dotnet new

Oh dear. Do they even test it before releasing?
      Rob
      email: [email protected]

Comment

gentoo is not supported. Gui apps are not possible? Anyone tried on Ubuntu?

Comment

Originally posted by dagger View Post
          $ sudo mkdir -p /opt/dotnet && sudo tar zxf dotnet.tar.gz -C /opt/dotnet
          $ sudo ln -s /opt/dotnet/dotnet /usr/local/bin
          $ dotnet --help

$ mkdir hwapp
          $ cd hwapp
          $ dotnet new

It is a core version, help is not included.

Comment

Front page claims FreeBSD support ?

Cant see FreeBSD support on the downloads page. It might be buried away in there somewhere, but after 10 minutes of being redirected from one page to another, and bombarded with ".NET this" and "Windows That", a tedious and useless preamble on the API docs, and no sign of anything remotely interesting .... I have completely lost all interest.

Where is the interactive playground that lets you test out .NET code ? oh ... there isn't one. Looks like something out of the 1980's. What planet is this "Microsoft" company from I wonder ?

Coffee Break is over, back to do some real work .....

Makes me appreciate the fantastic job that the other (non-Microsoft) guys are currently doing with the Go programming language, the Rust compiler ... and all the other great, robust, and truly wonderful tools available in the real world outside of the Microsoft Bubble.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveOC64 View Post

Cant see FreeBSD support on the downloads page. It might be buried away in there somewhere, but after 10 minutes of being redirected from one page to another, and bombarded with ".NET this" and "Windows That", a tedious and useless preamble on the API docs, and no sign of anything remotely interesting .... I have completely lost all interest.

Where is the interactive playground that lets you test out .NET code ? oh ... there isn't one. Looks like something out of the 1980's. What planet is this "Microsoft" company from I wonder ?

Coffee Break is over, back to do some real work .....

Makes me appreciate the fantastic job that the other (non-Microsoft) guys are currently doing with the Go programming language, the Rust compiler ... and all the other great, robust, and truly wonderful tools available in the real world outside of the Microsoft Bubble.
              yeah, to be honest i personally believe C++14/Qt5 is trully wonderful but if a higher level language is needed for any reason i do prefer rust, go or even Apple swift(once fully support proper C++11+ since i visceraly hate Obj-C/++ in any form.)

Comment

Originally posted by SteveOC64 View Post

Doh! I guess you're completely new to open source, and have never heard of github... ?

Comment

Originally posted by dagger View Post
                  Yes, but they evidently cannot expect users to be able to read. Do you have the dependent packages installed? Do you have a distribution/version that is supported by their binary packages? (You can also always compile yourself...)

I guess without the comfort of a package manager and the work of package maintainers you'd conclude that no software was tested before its release?

Comment

Originally posted by xnor View Post

Doh! I guess you're completely new to open source, and have never heard of github... ?
                    https://github.com/dotnet/coreclr/bl...nstructions.md
                    My Bad. I guess this "Microsoft" company is pretty new to the concept of portable and cross platform.

Thanks for the link .... I did briefly peruse their github account, before my eyes glazed over from boredom, but what you have uncovered here is Pure Comedic Gold ! I should have kept hunting.

Straight from their doco about how to install .NET on FreeBSD, one needs a Windows machine to first generate some sort of Linux binary with a fake (.dll) extension name, and then copy it across to the FreeBSD machine, using some unnecessarily long winded file names, which may or may not include the backslash character. Fucking brilliant !!!!

If some junior dev or sysadmin handed up this piece of junk as a solution .... one would have to waste valuable resources in "coaching" them about minimum acceptable standards.

Keep in mind that the example below is literally HelloWorld

Have a read of this shit and laugh :

Build the Framework Managed Components
                    We don't yet have support for building managed code on FreeBSD, so you'll need a Windows machine with clones of both the CoreCLR and CoreFX projects.

You will build mscorlib.dll out of the coreclr repository and the rest of the framework that out of the corefx repository. For mscorlib (from a regular command prompt window) run:

D:\git\coreclr> build.cmd freebsdmscorlib

Note: We are using the Linux build currently, as CoreFX does not yet know about FreeBSD.

It's also possible to add /t:rebuild to the build.cmd to force it to delete the previously built assemblies.

For the purposes of Hello World, you need to copy over both bin\Linux.AnyCPU.Debug\System.Console\System.Conso le.dll and bin\Linux.AnyCPU.Debug\System.Diagnostics.Debug\Sy stem.Diagnostics.Debug.dll into the runtime folder on FreeBSD. (e.g ~/coreclr-demo/runtime).

After you've done these steps, the runtime directory on FreeBSD should look like this:

janhenke@freebsd-frankfurt:~/git/coreclr % ls ~/coreclr-demo/runtime/
                    System.Console.dll System.Diagnostics.Debug.dll corerun libcoreclr.so libcoreclrpal.so mscorlib.dll
                    Thanks again, that doco is brilliant.

your target runtime requires at a minimum :
                    - 3 x .dll files
                    - 2 x .so files (note the subtle difference between Dynamic Link Lib vs Shared Object ... your Hello World needs both !!)
                    - something else called 'corerun' that could be an .ELF file, or could be anything at all ???? Who knows ???

This is Genius !!
                    Last edited by SteveOC64; 27 June 2016, 06:46 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X