No announcement yet.

What You Need To Do To Your Linux System If You Want Open-Source RX 480 Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What You Need To Do To Your Linux System If You Want Open-Source RX 480 Support

Phoronix: What You Need To Do To Your Linux System If You Want Open-Source RX 480 Support

If you are hoping to get your hands on a Radeon RX 480 "Polaris" graphics card when they begin shipping in a few days, here are the upgrades you need to make to your Linux system if you are wanting to make use of the open-source AMD Linux graphics stack...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

here are the upgrades you need to make to your Linux system if you are wanting to make use of the open-source AMD Linux graphics stack
    Correction: this is what you need to do to get any kind of support, because there's no more an alternative binary blob.
    Otherwise you're stuck with no hw acceleration and no power management.

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post

Correction: this is what you need to do to get any kind of support, because there's no more an alternative binary blob.
      Otherwise you're stuck with no hw acceleration and no power management.
      No, because if you use the AMDGPU-PRO hybrid driver it ships with its own DKMS module of the supported AMDGPU DRM driver and all the other necessary components.
      Michael Larabel
      https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post

No, because if you use the AMDGPU-PRO hybrid driver it ships with its own DKMS module of the supported AMDGPU DRM driver and all the other necessary components.
        *facepalm* Totally forgot about the Pro driver. I should stop posting while I'm tired...

Comment

Alll aboard the hype train!!! (Srsly, if I had any money to burn I'd buy one of these, but since I don't then to my better judgement I will wait for vega)

Btw I've been hearing the RX480 overclocks like a fucking monster, can it be overclocked on Linux?

Comment

I hope dkms module for amdgpu that will be usable with Mesa will appear soon. I'd prefer that to building the whole kernel. Also, what is the easiest way to install Mesa git in Debian testing?

Comment

Originally posted by rabcor View Post
              Alll aboard the hype train!!! (Srsly, if I had any money to burn I'd buy one of these, but since I don't then to my better judgement I will wait for vega)

Btw I've been hearing the RX480 overclocks like a fucking monster, can it be overclocked on Linux?
              According to everything I've read, overclocking will be possible on everything that AMDGPU supports. I think Michael mentions it in this article actually.

Comment

Originally posted by shmerl View Post
                Also, what is the easiest way to install Mesa git in Debian testing?
                Maybe take a look at this thread for a bit of info on how I do it:
                It's the weekend already? Oh goodie! Time to dust off that game collection you've been neglecting due to work, school, family or whatever. Tell me what you're playing and what you think to it.

I initially tried to build .deb packages based on some old ones from sid, but sorting out the patch sets was taking too long. This approach is pretty easy to roll back if needed, as it does not interfere with existing binaries installed through apt-get.

Comment

@boltronics: I see, thanks. Is there some Debian repo with already prepackaged results for it? It could have been significantly easier that way.

Comment

I was looking at the GTX 1070, but would certainly consider the RX 480. I'm very curious about the driver quality. Nvidia's been pretty good, I can run games, webgl stuff, full screen video from netflix or plex, etc and have no driver problems. Here's hoping AMD manages the same.

Comment

Working...
                    X