Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PowerNex: A Kernel Written In The D Programming Language

Phoronix: PowerNex: A Kernel Written In The D Programming Language

We've already seen Redox OS as an operating system and micro-kernel written in the Rust programming language. With just about every newer programming language we've seen ambitious developers take to the lengthy and complicated process of writing a kernel and the start of an OS in their new favorite language. With PowerNex, the D programming language is being used to write an OS kernel...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Originally posted by Master5000 View Post
    Great! Another fucking kernel. That will go after Hurd that is a turd. Great work guys! Don't help with what already works! Be original! Reinvent the PC! Fuck Intel! Make your own chips!
    Or, you know, these programmers are scratching an itch and learning valuable skills for the future.

Comment

im just not sure how anyone can get super excited about a garbage-collected systems language

Comment

Originally posted by quaz0r View Post
        im just not sure how anyone can get super excited about a garbage-collected systems language
        The GC is optional, i prefer D over the old and ugly C/C++ languages

Comment

Originally posted by Scellow View Post

The GC is optional, i prefer D over the old and ugly C/C++ languages
          But, to be fair, the standard library does rely heavily on it, so going GC-less is only really practical for kernel developers and people willing to reinvent the bits of the standard library that they use.

(That "or people willing to reinvent the bits of the standard library they use" part was the reason a D fan gave when they made a thread on /r/rust/ while inquiring about the completeness and maturity of Rust's gamedev ecosystem. They were tired of being the only person who understood their D code.)

Comment

Originally posted by quaz0r View Post
            1. Garbage collected systems languages like D or Go still generally provide much faster execution and lower memory overhead than scripting languages, and they make it easier to write low-defect code than C or C++.

But to be fair, the Go team has been working very hard to optimize their garbage collector and they've achieved performance on par with Java. The D garbage collector lags behind either for efficiency.

2. Garbage collection in D is optional, and the main language designers (Walter Bright, Andrei Alexandrescu) are working on a rewrite of the standard library so that you can use it with or without garbage collection. If they can make that work, I think it's a best of both worlds option - but on the other hand, unless they figure out how to do it in a minimally invasive way, migrating existing D code to the new version might be a nightmare.

Comment

i simply love the NIH, first it was that everyone wrote file managers, then they went on everyone writing DE, followed by everyone writing their own init, now the amount of new kernels says fashion changed into that direction.

can't wait for next step where everyone is doing their own CPU

Comment

Great! Another fucking kernel. That will go after Hurd that is a turd. Great work guys! Don't help with what already works! Be original! Reinvent the PC! Fuck Intel! Make your own chips!
                You are not a very bright individual are you? I am sure some Windows guys said the same thing when Linux came along and these days that "fucking kernel" is now running just about anything you can imagine. As Linux takes over more and more and will probably eventually be just as mainstream as Windows, the big exception is that Linux's license is a bit nicer to everyone. Why don't you check out Minix v3 as well? it's actually really cool and it is such a "fucking kernel" that it eats bugs for breakfast as well!

http://www.dirtcellar.net

Comment

For anyone who wants to play with it, it's easier to get the ISO (legacy BIOS CD image) from the releases page than to compile the source with the supplied toolchain.

It's a small thing right now with the ability to boot via GRUB and a couple of inbuilt commands in an inbuilt shell, but it's a neat start.

Comment

I can't possibly understand why the fuck would you waste your life like this working on such useless shit.
                    Because they can. Also, one man's trash is another man's treasure!

A neat start that will go nowhere when you will realize how hard it actually is to create a new kernel. And I'm not talking hard as in hard engineering, I'm talking hard as in to get others to write drivers for it.
                    That's a legitimate criticism. Whenever there is something new, even if it is a lot better, requires a lot of convincing and/or marketshare to typically get people to make things for it. Similar to Windows and their viruses.

DragonflyBSD is porting drivers, as are the other BSD I believe. You don't always have to rewrite from scratch.

Comment

Working...
                    X